If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Winkburn Hall and Attached Wall
Date Listed: 7 August 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 242207
OS Grid Reference: SK7119658332
OS Grid Coordinates: 471196, 358332
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1174, -0.9377
Explore more of the area around Winkburn, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
SK 75 NW WINKBURN WINKBURN HALL DRIVE
4/151 Winkburn Hall and
Country house and attached wall. c.1700 with 1838 and mid C19
extensions. Built for the Burnell family. Red brick with
ashlar dressings. Hipped slate roof behind ashlar parapet. 6
rendered stacks. Rusticated ashlar plinth and quoins. H-plan.
Two and a half storeys, 7 bays. The top storey being a 1838
addition above a wooden modillion cornice with band. First floor
ashlar band. Central single storey 3 bay C19 porch, 4 steps up,
with 4 Tuscan columns, 4 pilasters behind and entablature. Inner
panelled double door, the lower panels being circular, with
fanlight. Either side are single glazing bar sashes and in the
outer projecting bays 2 similar sashes. Above are 5 similar
sashes and on the top floor 5 glazing bar pivotal casements. To
the right and slightly set back is a one and a half storey, 2
bay red brick and hipped slate C19 wing with brick parapet set on
a rusticated ashlar plinth, with 2 glazing bar sashes and 2
glazing bar pivotal casements above. Projecting from the right
is a tall red brick wall with ashlar coping extending 18 metres
and then turning at a right angle where there are 2 segmental
arched lights with shutters. Behind the wall are various lean-
tos and attached to the rear right of the house is a one and a
half storey, 3 bay service wing. The north front of 5 bays with
similar plinth, quoins and bands. Central doorway, 5 steps up,
with double door and large glazing bar overlight with coat of
arms. Eared architrave with keystone decorated with single
putto, flanked by single panelled pilasters supporting single
consoles with open pediment. Either side are 2 glazing bar
sashes with 5 similar sashes above and 5 glazing bar pivotal
casements on the top floor. East front of 7 bays with similar
plinth, quoins and bands. Central doorway, 5 steps up, with
glazed double door and overlight. Bolection moulded architrave.
Flanked by single panelled pilasters supporting a triglyph
frieze with keyblock depicting an angel. Over is a segmental
pediment. Either side are single glazing bar sashes with 2
similar sashes in the outer projecting bays. Above are 5
similar sashes with 5 glazing bar pivotal casements on the top
floor. All windows have moulded surrounds. To the left, set
back, is a red brick, ashlar coped wall with hipped slate roof
lying behind, 2 stacks and single glazing bar casement to the top
left. Interior. Entrance hall has C18 open well staircase with
ashlar treads and cast iron 1838 richly scrolled balustrade.
Extending around the staircase is a band of figure 8 with single
central fleurons. Plaster ceiling of Rococco and later style.
Adam style fireplace from Welbeck Abbey. Leading off the hall
are 2 archways. The arch to the reveal, supported on 4
decorative brackets, is decorated with 3 egg and dart panels,
further decorated with central acanthus rosette. Doorways
flanking the fireplace lead to the saloon, the panelled doors
with decoration to edges of panels. Doorcases on both sides
decorated with bead and reel and acanthus with finely carved
sopraporte decorated with C18 rustic scenes incorporating
carvings of vernacular architecture, churches, hay stacks, bee
hives, etc., further decorated with bead and reel and flutes.
Saloon with fireplace decorated with bead and reel, decorative
ovals, dentil and egg and dart. Having a single central carved
angel's head and being flanked by single decorative brackets.
Aboe is the carved wooden overmantel, the edges decorated with
foliage and fruit. Central carving of French horn, lute, etc.
The whole surmounted by an eagle. Modillion cornice further
decorated with egg and dart and fleuron. Ceiling with acanthus
centre. Skirting decorated with a ribbon and flower motif. The
door and doorcase from hall to library is similarly decorated to
those of the saloon, however the library side has a more
elaborately decorated door and the sopraporta is more Rococco in
style, there is a pediment over. Bolection panelled walls. The
fireplace with Rococco style decoration has a single central
carved panel depicting a wigwam, totam poles, palm trees, figures
and a- ship. c.1820 painted ceiling. Decorative cornice. Room
opposite with similarly decorated doorcase and door. The window
shutters decorated with flutes and paterae, the surrounds further
decorated with bead and reel and acanthus. Marble fireplace.
c.1820 painted ceiling with foliate decoration. Chair rail and
decorative skirting, decorative cornice. The ceiling to the
corridor linking these rooms to the entrance hall is decoratively
panelled, with decorative cornice. Room south of the saloon has
C17 bolection panelling with bolection moulded fireplace. The
dogleg back staircase retains some turned balusters. On the
first floor are 2 C18 fireplaces.
Listing NGR: SK7119658332
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.