If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Michael, Averham

Description: Church of St Michael

Grade: I
Date Listed: 11 August 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 242710

OS Grid Reference: SK7681254367
OS Grid Coordinates: 476812, 354367
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0810, -0.8547

Location: Church Lane, Averham, Nottinghamshire NG23 5RB

Locality: Averham
Local Authority: Newark and Sherwood District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG23 5RB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Averham, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SK 75 SE AVERHAM CHURCH LANE

9/7 Church of
St. Michael
11-8-61

G.V. I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, C19. Chancel restored
1857 by C. Bailey. Further restored 1858 and 1907. Re-roofed
1865. Herringbone rubble, coursed squared rubble, ashlar, brick,
rendered, with plain tile roof and leaded chancel gable. West
tower, nave, chancel, north chancel chapel, south porch. West
tower, Cll, C13 and C15, 2 stages, has chamfered plinth, coved
string course, coved eaves band with 8 Romanesque style
gargoyles, crenellated parapet with shields in panels and 8
crocketed pinnacles. 4 diagonal buttresses, 5 and 3 setoffs,
those to east engaged with nave. That to south west has rebus
with moulded hood. First stage has to south, clock. To west,
C14 double lancet with cusped heads and Decorated tracery,
chamfered mullion, chamfered and rebated reveal, and hood mould.
Above, clock. Second stage has 4 C14 double lancet openings with
cusped heads, Decorated tracery, coved mullions, chamfered and
rebated reveals with hood moulds. Nave, 4 bays, has 4 diagonal
buttresses, 2 intermediate buttresses to north and single
buttress to south, all 3 setoffs with plinths and string courses.
North side has to east 2 C15 restored triple lancets with ogee
heads, panel tracery, chamfered mullions, chamfered and rebated
reveals with four centred arched heads and hood moulds. To west,
a blocked C15 doorway with coved and roll moulded surround. To
west again, a restored C15 triple lancet with cusped trefoil
heads, coved mullions, splayed and rebated reveal with four
centred arched head and hood mould with mask stops. South side
has 3 restored C15 triple lancets like those on north side.
Chancel, 2 bays, has to north a C13 double lancet with
geometrical tracery, mullion with ringed shaft, chamfered and
roll moulded reveal and hood mould with mask stops. East end has
early C14 quintuple lancet with interesecting tracery and ogee
quatrefoil head, chamfered mullions, chamfered and rebated reveal
and hood mould with mask stops. South side has off-centre
priest's door with cove moulded surround and hood mould with mask
stops. To west a restored C15 triple lancet with coved mullions,
chamfered and rebated surround and hood mould. To east, a partly
restored C13 triple lancet with geometrical tracery, roll moulded
mullions, chamfered reveal and hood mould with mask stops. North
chancel chapel has chamfered plinth, string course, coped ashlar
parapet and north gable with cross. Gable has C15 style double
lancet with coved reveal and hood mould with mask stops. East
side has central pointed doorway with chamfered reveal. South
porch, early C16, has 3 string courses, 4 gargoyles, gabled
crenellated parapet with cross. Pair of diagonal buttresses, 3
setoffs plus plinths. Restored south doorway has double cove and
roll moulding and hood mould. Above, 3 sets of Arms referring to
Sir Thomas Sutton. Above again, central pilaster with angel
corbel. Interior has stone benches, and C16 principal rafter
roof with moulded timbers and curved braces. Inner south doorway,
C15, has restored double cove and roll moulded surround with C19
painted text. Door has traceried panels and ornate C18 hinges.
Aisleless nave has re-set C16 corbels on each side. East end has
to north a C14 depressed ogee headed tomb recess with Sutton
rebus and blank shields in spandrels, containing slab with
moulded edges, foliate cross and Norman French inscription.
South side has C16 moulded elliptical tomb recess with foliate
bosses and Arms in traceried panel in tympanum, containing late
C14 slab with male figure. North side windows have stained glass
1888, c.1905 and c.1913. South side has stained glass c.1882,
and 2 windows with C19 patterned glass and fragments. Roof,
1865, in C14 style. Some C16 foliate and mask corbels carrying
arched braces to tie beams, and further curved brackets above,
all with pierced spandrels. Tower arch, C13, double chamfered
and rebated with hood mould and mask stops, octagonal imposts
with moulded bases and mask and monster capitals with foliage.
Tower chamber has west window with patterned stained glass.
Upper tower chamber contains wall paintings. Chancel has
traceried panelled Perpendicular screen, partly restored, with
inscribed crest and cross. East end has a re-set corbel each
side of the window. To south, a C14 cusped trefoil headed
piscina. North window has fragments of C14 stained glass
assembled by Rev. J. H. Sutton, 1885. East window has re-used
C15 stained glass from Kelham Hall and C19 stained glass by
Heaton, Butler and Bayne. South windows have early C19 stained
glass fragments and patterned C19 stained glass. Vaulted
panelled timber roof, 1865, with stencilled decoration. North
aisle chapel, now vestry,, has no architectural features.
Fittings include panelled dado to nave and chancel, crested south
doorcase and moulded benches, all by Hodgson Fowler for the
Walker family, 1890. Part of chancel dado renewed 1978. Some
C19 chairs and a panelled bench with arms. C19 octagonal
traceried panelled pulpit. Small C19 octagonal font on octagonal
base and stem, with crocketed pierced spire cover. 2 C14
traceried panelled oak stalls. Traceried panelled C20 stalls and
desks. 2 C18 stools and C17 table with bulbous turned legs and
low stretchers. Monuments include painted alabaster Renaissance
Revival style tomb of Sir W. Sutton and wife, 1607. Moulded
rectangular base with corner pilasters with panels of Arms,
recessed central panel with 2 scrolled cartouches with Arms, and
above, 2 inscribed tablets. Above, a pair of Ionic type columns
on strapwork bases, carrying projecting entablature with
strapwork frieze, Arms and dentillated cornice, flanking a pair
of reclining figures. At rear, round headed recess with coffered
soffit, containing moulded. inscribed panel. Above again,
dentillated plinth carrying strapwork base with round panel with
Arms and crest in the form of a rose in a ring. Flanked by
single corniced dice with Arms. Large marble and alabaster wall
monument to Lord Lexington, 1668. Draped square inscribed panel
on brackets. Above, panel with Arms, and above again, a swagged
panel of Arms with supporters, with crest in the form offluted
eggcup containing egg. Classical style wall monument marble and
slate, with shaped surround, pedimented inscribed tablet, cornice
with flanking urns, and obelisk with cartouche. To Rev Richard
Sutton, 1785. C18 carved and painted Royal Arms, 2 metal
commandment boards, commemorative brasses 1858, 1865, 1901, 1907.
2 hatchments, 2 C20 brasses. Traceried timber war memorial 1918,
and wood tablet, 1945.


Listing NGR: SK7680754368

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |