If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Caunton Manor House and Adjoining Outbuildings and Cottage
Date Listed: 7 August 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 242734
OS Grid Reference: SK7440859969
OS Grid Coordinates: 474408, 359969
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1317, -0.8893
Explore more of the area around Caunton, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
SK 75 NW CAUNTON MANOR ROAD
6/31 Caunton Manor
House and adjoin-
7-8-52 ing outbuildings
and cottage. (Caunton Manor
24-8-76 listed 7-8-52 - Adjoining
G.V. II outbuilding added 24-8-76)
Manor house. Early C18. Enlarged and altered c.1902. Further
enlarged and refronted in neo-Georgian style by Houfton, c.1926.
Brick with ashlar dressings and hipped and gabled slate roofs.
Chamfered plinth, first floor band, modillioned eaves and
pediment. 3 side wall, single rear wall, 2 gable and 5 ridge
stacks, one external. 3 storeys, 9 bays wide by 4 bays deep.
Irregular L-plan. Facade windows are glazing bar sashes with
stepped keystoned lintels and shutters. Main south front has
projecting pedimented central bay. To left, moulded and panelled
doorcase, C18, with foliate curved brackets and keystone,
dentillated cornice and pediment, shaped fanlight and glazed
door. To left, a single sash, and to right 7 sashes, 2 farthest
to right in round headed recesses. Above, 9 sashes, the middle 5
with aprons with paterae. Above again, swagged round window in
pediment. Rainwater heads inscribed 'S H'. East front has
projecting bay to left and to right, single bay ashlar porch with
moulded plinth, chanelled rustication, pulvinated frieze,
modillioned cornice and open pediment, and stepped moulded
parapet. Mouldedeared doorcase with flanking Tuscan columns,
stepped keystone and fanlight, containing panelled door. Single
sash in each side. To left, sash in round headed recess, and to
its right another sash. Above, to right, glazing bar stair light
flanked by single sashes. Above again, 4 sashes of different
sizes. West front has to left, 2 casements, one barred, and to
right 2 sashes, all with segmental heads. Above, to left, 2
casements, and to right 2 sashes, all with segmental heads.
Adjoining stable range to east, early C19, 3 bays, has cogged
eaves. To left, a plank door and to its right a similar door
with overlight, flanked by single casements, all with segmental
heads. Above, 3 Yorkshire sashes. Rainwater heads dated 1834
and 1926. Adjoining wing to west has C20 casement, glazed door
and flanking lights, all under continuous timber lintel. Above,
2 Yorkshire sashes. Adjoining barn, 4 bays, rebuilt in
facsimile, 1976. Cottage adjoining rear of house, C19, has to
north off-centre square opening flanked by single iron casements
with segmental heads. Above, 2 Yorkshire sashes with segmental
heads. Interior has features and decoration, C18 and C19.
Billiard room has moulded skirting and chair rail, timber
pilasters in corners and flanking fireplace, moulded Classical
doorcase with foliate frieze and cornice. Large C19 marble
fireplace with Ionic columns, blocked frieze with lion masks,and
central relief panel. Panelled overmantel and moulded cornice.
Dining room has moulded chair rail, plaster wall panels, some
with ears, festoon with scallops over fireplace, moulded cornice,
oval ceiling festoon and foliate boss. Doors with moulded
architraves, foliate friezes and cornices; double doors to east
have palmette frieze. Carved C19 timber fireplace with Atlantes,
heavily moulded architrave, panelled frieze and mask. Library
has moulded cornice, double door with moulded architrave,
panelled frieze and mask. Timber fireplace with foliate frieze.
Drawing room has moulded skirting and chair rail, plaster wall
panels with ears, panelled swagged overmantel, moulded
modillioned cornice, panelled ceiling with quadrant corners and
scallop motifs, central boss and chandelier. Moulded doorcases
with foliate friezes, moulded pediments and above, large festoons
with masks. Adam style panelled marble fireplace with herms with
paterae, frieze with relief panels, and patterned iron fireback.
Gun room has early C19 hob grate and glazed fitted cupboard.
Hall has C19 marble fireplace with Ionic columns and Delft tiles.
Main stair in C18 style, incorporating C18 remains. Double
dogleg with landings, fluted Corinthian newels moulded ramped
handrail and barley sugar balusters. Carved and moulded string
with scrolls. Painted room on first floor has 5 painted canvas
panels of biblical subjects, timber panels and dado painted in
trompe l'oeil to resemble Classical mouldings and swagged
borders. Said to be Swedish, early C18. Other rooms have
plaster wall panels, moulded cornices, single Classical marble
fireplace, moulded C19 marble fireplace, 4 early C19 hob grates,
and panelled fitted cupboards and doors. Minor stairs have
turned or square newels and stick balusters. Linked stable
range, to north, C19, brick with hipped pantile roof, cogged
eaves, single storey, 5 bays wide by 3 bays deep, has to west an
entry and to right, 3 pairs of garage doors. South front has 5
stable doors and 5 slatted casements, all with segmental heads.
Once the home of Dean Hole, a well-known late C19 character.
Listing NGR: SK7440859969
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.