British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Edburg, Bicester

Description: Church of St Edburg

Grade: I
Date Listed: 31 January 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 243498

OS Grid Reference: SP5830222278
OS Grid Coordinates: 458302, 222278
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8960, -1.1541

Location: 8 Church Street, Bicester OX26 6AZ

Locality: Bicester
Local Authority: Cherwell District Council
County: Oxfordshire
Country: England
Postcode: OX26 6AZ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Bicester, Oxfordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SP5822S (South side)
3/24 Church of St. Edburg

Church. Probably C11, C12, C13 and C14, altered C15 and C16; tower C15/early
C16; restored 1862 by C.N. Beazley in consultation with G.E. Street.
Part-coursed limestone rubble with ashlar and some marlstone-ashlar dressings;
lead and Welsh-slate roofs. Cruciform plan with north chancel aisle, nave
aisles, west tower and north porch. Restored chancel retains C12 ashlar clasping
buttresses and a small Gothic priest's door to south, but has a 5-light east
window and 2- and 3-light side windows in C19 Geometrical-Decorated style. The
aisle to north formerly incorporated a priest's dwelling, and has 2
square-headed C15 windows facing east, both with cinquefoil lights and labels,
one originally serving an upper floor; a C15 stair with 3-centre arched entrance
projects at the north-east-angle; north wall has two 2-light C19 windows, plus a
blocked rubble archway in the lower part of the wall. The north transept retains
fragments of a C12 chevron string course, interrupted by a large 4-centre-arched
5-light window with Perpendicular drop tracery and a deep casement mould. A
later extension to west has a restored 2-light window with reticulated tracery
plus the outline of an arched opening, and is continued westwards by the
narrower early-C14 north aisle which retains two 2-light C14 windows to north
plus a later large single-light window to west. The C14 porch has an entrance
arch with wave mouldings, and shelters the north door with earlier C14
mouldings; the small 2-light traceried window to west is also C14, but the
2-light east window is C15 as is the former upper floor with its square-headed
2-light C15 north window and crenellated parapet. The south transept also has
remains of the C12 chevron string plus a large restored Perpendicular window; it
was extended eastwards, probably in the C15, but now has a C19 east window
similar to those in the chancel. The south aisle is early C13 with 3 restored
3-light Cl4 windows to south and a C15 parapet panelled with quatrefoils; it
retains a fine doorway with a deeply-moulded arch and 3 orders of shafts (2
detached and one enlarged) with 4 early stiff-leaf capitals. Above the door are
fragments of carved stonework, probably from tombs in the demolished church of
Bicester Priory. The west wall contains a 3-light C16 window with uncusped heads
and a label. The C16 clerestory has 4 arched windows to north and 4
square-headed windows to south, all with 2 uncusped 4-centre-arched lights. Over
the crossing is a large square-headed C15 window, facing south, with 4
cinquefoil lights within a deep casement moulding; on the north face is a fine
lead rainwater head, decorated with moulded shafting and ornamental cresting,
and dated 1655; 2 plainer lead heads on the north clerestory are dated 1704. The
3-stage battlemented tower, with heavy moulded plinth and strings plus diagonal
stepped buttresses, has an arched west door with quatrefoil spandrels, set
within a deep casement moulding and with big blank shields terminating the label
drops; the large 2-light window above was probably altered in 1750, the date
inscribed in the casement moulding; bell chamber stage has 2-light arched
openings with Perpendicular tracery and transoms, but the panelled and crocketed
pinnacles are probably C17/C18. Interior: chancel is entirely C19 except for the
wide archway to north, of 3 chamfered orders, which is probably early C14. The
round-headed chancel arch, of unchamfered orders, is matched by the tall plain
transept arches of one order, which have linked abaci; they are probably C11 and
formed part of a pseudo-cruciform arrangement with narrower flanking "wings" or
transepts but not necessarily with a fourth arch to west. The 4-bay south arcade
of c.1200 (which must post-date the demolition of a fourth crossing arch) has
pointed arches with deep angle rolls, probably later reinforced by the inner
chamfered orders and partly rebuilt, and set on late-C14 clustered columns set
diagonally, one with the remains of crocketed canopy work; the moulded capitals
to the responds survive but the 3 main capitals are C19. Further salvaged panels
of carved stonework are set in the spandrels. The-arch from the south transept
to the aisle is completely C14 except for re-used Transitional capitals with
square abaci and stiff-leaf foliage. The 3-bay south arcade of c.1300 has arches
of 3 chamfered orders, octagonal columns and moulded capitals, one with pellet
decoration; a crude triangular-headed arch to east is probably simply a large
squint linked with the western extension of the transept; the outer spandrels of
the arcade retain sections of the C12 chevron band, formerly external. The fine
tall narrow tower arch is C15/early C16. Except for the chancel, all roofs are
probably C15/C16 with moulded timbers; the nave roof, which looks C16 but is
noted as renewed 1803, has large cambered tiebeams with pierced panelled infill
to the trusses and to the spandrels of the curved braces. Fittings are all C19
and C20 except for a C15 screen in the north transept with 2 tiers of traceried
panels, and the strange tapering polygonal font with its C18 flat wooden cover;
the vestry screen in the north chancel aisle, with C19 painted decoration on a
gilt ground, is signed "H.L. Busby 1882". 4 ancient chests: one dated 163(?),
another 1668. Small window over the priest's door said to contain C14 glass;
remainder of stained glass (mainly chancel and south aisle) is C19, including a
window of 1866 by Morris and Co. with panels by Burne-Jones and Webb, one of
1853 by O'Connor and 2 by Mayer and Co. of Munich. The numerous monuments
include a C15 figure brass, C17 engraved brasses, tablets and carved cartouches,
and many elaborate C18 wall monuments. The large marble memorial to Sir Thomas
Grantham (died 1718) by Delvaux and Scheemakers has weeping cherubs supporting a
large portrait medallion against a fine Baroque surround; a monument to Sir
Edward Page Turner (died 1766) by Joseph Wilton has a big urn and portrait
medallions; one of the many monuments to the Cokers of Bicester House is a
relief of c.1794 by Sir Richard Westmacott.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VI, pp.46-7; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire,

Listing NGR: SP5830022279

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.