Description: St Johns College, North Range Including Chapel and Hall
Date Listed: 12 January 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 245128
OS Grid Reference: SP5126006664
OS Grid Coordinates: 451260, 206664
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7563, -1.2587
1. ST JOHN'S COLLEGE
including Chapel and
SP 5106 NW 5/525D 12.1.54.
The Hall on West, the Chapel on East, with passageway between them. Buttery
and Kitchen on North-West of hall.
Chapel consecrated 1550. The Baylie chapel added on North-East angle, 1662-9,
refitted 1949. The whole remodelled by Edward Blore, 1843.
Hall's East part built 1502 and West bay added 16l6. The stone screen,
1743, designed by James Gibbs and built by William Townesend, was set back
to West in 1935. Chimneypiece (by William Townesend) 1731 at cost of John
Preston. Panelling, 1744. Ceiling, 1730.
West part. Built C15 with cellar below which is probably that of previous
hall of St Bernard's College, 1437. Room above Buttery, now gallery of
Hall, has C18 panelling.
Listing NGR: SP5125806662
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.