Description: Universiy College, South Range Including Chapel, Hall and Kitchen
Date Listed: 12 January 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 245181
OS Grid Reference: SP5173206203
OS Grid Coordinates: 451732, 206203
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7521, -1.2520
including Chapel, Hall & Kitchen
SP 5106 SE 9/356C 12.1.54.
Built 1659-1666. To east is the Chapel and to West the hall with a gabled
frontispiece in between them. The North elevation was remodelled in 1802
to the design of James Griffith, Master. Chapel consecrated 1666. East
end rebuilt and roof raised by Sir Gilbert Scott, in 1862. Includes notable
stained glass by Abraham van Linge, 164l, woodwork by Thomas Richardson and
Arthur Frogley, 1665, and screen by Robert Barker, 1694, reset 1924. Hall
finished in 1657. Interior remodelled in 1766 by Henry Keene and repaired
1892. Extended to West, in 1904 in Guiting ashlar and the plaster ceiling
removed. Contains armorial glass by Willement, 1833. The Kitchen, to the south
of the Hall, is included, 1688-90. Hall gable altered 1958-9.
Listing NGR: SP5173306214
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.