Description: Church Farmhouse
Date Listed: 12 January 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 245439
OS Grid Reference: SP4963309792
OS Grid Coordinates: 449633, 209792
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7846, -1.2819
SP 4909 17/9 12.1.54.
Farmhouse. RCHM 285. C16, consisting of a North East-South West range
facing South East with a wing on North West with a later pent to it on North
East. In the West angle is a Cl9 addition. The Cl6 range is 2-storeyed
coursed rubble with a stone slate roof and 2 red brick end shafts, that
on the South West being on a moulded stone base and carried down the outside
of the house; in the South East face are 3 2-light 1st floor modem casement
windows; the ground floor has similar windows and an original stone doorway
with a 4-centred arch, moulded stop-chamfered jambs and blank shields in
the spandrels. The Cl9 addition has a Welsh slate roof and on the South
West end, a 2-storeyed 3-sided stone bay on a brick base; in its North West
face are 2 gables and modern sash windows. In the pent on the North East
are 2 unequal sized gabled dormers. Interior:- RCHM p 187 a.
Includes in the South ground floor room an original stone fireplace with
Ionic oak pilasters and an oak overmantel of 3 bays, also some early C17
panelling used as a dado. In the North East wall of the kitchen in the North
West wing some original wattle and daub filling has recently been exposed.
The 1st floor original stone fireplace has a modern wood surround and shelf.
Listing NGR: SP4963309792
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.