Description: Folly Bridge with Former Toll House
Date Listed: 12 January 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 245442
OS Grid Reference: SP5143805559
OS Grid Coordinates: 451438, 205559
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7464, -1.2563
Folly Bridge, with
SP 5105 NW 12/598 12.1.54.
Rebuilt in 1826; on the North West corner is a contemporary l-storeyed stuccoed
toll house. An iron girder bridge was made over the South stream in 1888.
A very early river crossing, used by the Saxons and bridged by the Normans
in the late C11. The Saxon causeway has been discovered (1971) under St
Aldate's Street. The present bridge has a main span with 3 arches, and a
single subsidiary span to the South. Rusticated stone. The medieval bridge
was also known as "Friar Bacon's Bridge".
Listing NGR: SP5143805559
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.