Description: Radcliffe Camera
Date Listed: 12 January 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 245749
OS Grid Reference: SP5159106345
OS Grid Coordinates: 451591, 206345
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7534, -1.2540
SP 5106 SE 9/148A 12.1.54.
RCHM 1. Built 1737-49 by the benefaction of Dr John Radcliffe to the designs
of James Gibbs; William Townesend and William Smith, or Warwick, being the
master-masons. The lower storeys were built in Headington freestone and
the upper part in Taynton stone. In 1863 the arches of the ground floor
were glazed and a north entrance made with steps up to it. Repairs were
made in 1913 under the direction of Sir T G Jackson. The facing has been
patched in Clipsham stone. For history, see Bibliotheca Radclivinana (1747)
and "Exhibition Catalogue" ib. (1949).
All the buildings in Radcliffe Square form a group of the highest importance
being the centre of the University of Oxford.
Listing NGR: SP5159206345
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.