British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Denys, Stanford in the Vale

Description: Church of St Denys

Grade: I
Date Listed: 21 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 251053

OS Grid Reference: SU3419693468
OS Grid Coordinates: 434196, 193468
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6390, -1.5072

Location: Church Green, Stanford in the Vale, Oxfordshire SN7 8HU

Locality: Stanford in the Vale
Local Authority: Vale of White Horse District Council
County: Oxfordshire
Country: England
Postcode: SN7 8HU

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Stanford in the Vale, Oxfordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SU3493 (West side)
9/223 Church of St. Denys
21/11/66 (Formerly listed as Church of
St. Dennis)


Church. Late C12, west tower, north aisle and north porch added in the late
C13/early C14, south porch and clerestory added in early C15. Coursed limestone
rubble, limestone ashlar dressings; lead roof; stone slate roof to north porch.
Nave and chancel, north aisle continued as vestry, north and south porches, west
tower. Early C14 four-light east window of Kentish tracery; south wall of
chancel has two early C14 two-light windows, one early C14 three-light window of
Kentish tracery and a scratch dial; similar 2-light window in north wall adjoins
early C14 priest's doorway with pointed arch and moulded architrave. The north
aisle adjoins the priest's door and extends the full length of the nave; east of
the porch is one early C14 two-light window with carved heads to label mould
terminals and two early C14 2-light windows and one 3-light window much restored
in late C19; west of the porch is one early C14 two-light window with restored
right jamb and in the west wall a late C13 stepped 3-light window. North doorway
of c.1300 has pointed arch with moulded architrave and stiff-leaf capitals; late
C18 plank door. Early C14 gabled porch has pointed arch with chamfered
architrave to doorway and 2-light windows in each side wall. South wall of nave
has two early C14 one-light windows and two early C14 two-light windows, the top
of the east window having been blocked in the late C19; over the porch is an
early C15 four-light flat-headed window. Late C12 architrave and scalloped
capitals to engaged columns; C18 plank door. Early C15 porch with crenellated
parapet, two-light windows with label moulds in side walls and a four-centred
arch with moulded architrave and carved heads to label mould terminals. Early
C15 clerestory with three 3-light mullioned and double chamfered windows; early
C15 crenellated parapet. West tower is of three stages: offset corner buttresses
rise to the top of the first stage with late C13 one-light windows; late C13
second storey with two-light windows is separated from early C14 third storey by
original corbel table; third storey has early C14 two-light windows with
crenellated parapet and gargoyles. Gabled roofs, lean-to roof over north aisle;
the steeply pitched north porch stands clear of the north aisle. Fleur-de-lys
surmounts nave parapet. Interior: Late C19 stained glass, including some reset
C14 glass in chancel; C18/C19 ledger stones on chancel floor, three C17 ledger
stones in south-east corner especially to John Heigham, d.1623; in north-east
corner is brass to Roger Campdene, rector, d.1398; mid C18 wall tablet. 2 early
C17 carved doors to aumbry in north wall and early C14 piscina and Decorated
style pyx canopy in south wall. Late C13 doorway to vestry and late C13 squint
to north aisle. Late C15 three-bay chancel roof with moulded beams and joists is
arch-braced to corbels. Late C13 chancel arch. Nave has C18 ledger stones in
floor and a richly carved 5-sided Jacobean pulpit set on a late C19 base; late
C19 benches; late C19 stained glass except east and west windows of south wall
and the west window have some C14 reset glass. Nave has C17 seven-bay king post
roof, arch braced with traceried spandrels to original C13 corbels. Late C13
triple chamfered arch to west tower; late C13 three-bay arcade, with
double-chamfered arches dying into octagonal piers, to the north aisle. North
aisle has richly carved Jacobean font with cover; doorway with splayed and
pointed arch to rood loft stairs; late C19 lean-to roof. Three C13 stone coffin
lids in porch.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.226-7; H.T. Morley, Monumental Brasses of
Berkshire 1924, p.197; J.J. Penstone, A Visit to the Village Church of
Stanford-in-the-Vale, whilst undergoing restoration, in A.J. Dunkin, (ed).
Monumenta Anglicana; Stanford in the Vale (c.1851), pp.X-XXVIII; Berks, Bucks,
and Oxon Archaelogical Journal, Vol.II, No.4, January 1897, p.122, V.C.H.:
Berkshire, Val.IV, pp.483-4).

Listing NGR: SU3419093467

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.