If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Denys
Date Listed: 12 September 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 252294
OS Grid Reference: SP4211002874
OS Grid Coordinates: 442110, 202874
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7230, -1.3918
Explore more of the area around Northmoor, Oxfordshire at Explore Britain.
11/210 Church of St. Denys
Church. Early C13: mostly late C13 and early C14, except C15 west tower.
Rendered over limestone rubble, except chancel of uncoursed limestone rubble;
artificial stone slate roof, except stone slates to chancel roof. Cruciform plan
with west tower. C13 chancel has offset corner buttresses; 3-light geometrical
east window; late C13 trefoiled lancets with hoods to north; south wall has 2
similar lancets, string course forming hood over C13 hollow-chamfered doorway
and mid C13 two-light window of plate tracery. South transept has late C13
trefoiled lancet (west) and 2-light windows (east), and early C14 three-light
reticulated windows (south). South wall of nave has late C13 Y-tracery window
with trefoiled heads, west of C17 timber-framed and rendered porch with arched
timber head to plank door. North transept has late C13 trefoil-headed 3-light
window (east) and early C14 reticulated window (north). North wall of nave has
two 2-light Y-tracery windows with cinquefoiled heads; hood over
hollow-chamfered door. West gable has offset corner buttresses and early C14
three-light window of intersecting and cusped tracery. C15 tower has trefoiled
lights and 2-light square-headed belfry windows; embattled parapet. Nave walls
have late C18 and early C19 wall tablets. Interior: trefoiled piscina with
credence table. Three late C13 trefoiled sedilia with hoods and jamb shafts.
Fine late C17 communion rail with pierced scrolls of leaves and roses. Late C13
double-chamfered chancel arch, with moulded capitals to half-quatrefoil
responds. Double-chamfered arches to transepts, which both have trefoiled
piscinae. North transept has late C16/C17 two-bay tie-beam roof with
stop-chamfered purlins. South transept: fine early C14 crocketed canopy frames
C20 statue of Virgin and Child; parish chest dated 1721. C17 parish chest in
blocked south door of nave. Late C17 gallery at west end of nave has
bolection-moulded panels and turned balusters. C12 tub font with carved leaf
sprays. Nave windows have early C14 hollow-chamfered rere-arches with short
jambs stopped on head corbels and fine naturalistic leaf capitals. C15 tie-beam
roof, with arch braces stopped on shield and foliate capitals; moulded ashlar
plate and tie-beams; arched hollow-chamfered truss at east end. Mid C19 benches,
fittings and pulpit. C15 hollow-chamfered and casement-moulded archway to west
tower. Monuments: ledger stones and C14 slab with cross set in chancel floor.
Chancel: has wall tablets to John Nalder, d.1797, Anne Ledwell, d.1764, with
epitaph; also Richard Kent, d.1761 and family, a slate inscription slab set in
white marble architectural frame with scrolled sides and figure weeping over urn
set in open pediment. South transept has late C17 Baroque cartouche. North
transept has wall tablet to Anna Warcup, d.1713, with flaming urn surmounting
architectural marble frame and with cherubs' heads flanking heraldic
achievement; memorial below to Anna-Maria Pryce, d.1732, has epitaph set in
architectural marble frame and heraldic achievement set in broken pediment;
similar memorial with bracketed pediment to her daughter Anna-Maria Pryce,
d.1735; memorial to Richard Lydall, d.172i; has bewigged bust set in nowy-headed
pediment with ball finials; tomb chest to Edmund Warcup d.1712; has 2 Panels of
drapery swags over skulls and floral swag with cherub set in end panel; late C17
ledger stone and defaced C14 cross slab set in floor; chamfered arches in north
wall over fine late C14 stone effigies of Sir Thomas de la More and wife. Wall
painting: of heraldic shields, 2 souls being raised to Heaven, and Christ's hand
raised in blessing, in north-west corner of north transept. Stained glass: good
chancel window of 1866 and south wall of nave, 1871. The shaft capitals in the
nave are an important illustration of the mere naturalistic forms of leaf
carving of mature early C14 Gothic.
(Buildings of England: 0xfordshire, p.722; National Monuments Record; Bodleian
Library, Oxford, M.S. Top, Oxen, especially for early C19 drawings by J.C.
Buckler and Henry Hinton).
Listing NGR: SP4211102873
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.