British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Bartholomew, Tong

Description: Church of St Bartholomew

Grade: I
Date Listed: 26 May 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 255307

OS Grid Reference: SJ7956707386
OS Grid Coordinates: 379567, 307386
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6638, -2.3035

Location: Newport Road, Tong, Shropshire TF11 8PW

Locality: Tong
County: Shropshire
Country: England
Postcode: TF11 8PW

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

(South side)

6/27 Church of St. Barthelomew


Parish Church. Circa 1260, largely re-built c.1410, for Elizabeth de
Pembruge, South Chapel of c.1515, and whole restored 1889 - 92 by
Ewan Christian. Ashlar with lead roofs. 3 bay nave, 4 bay aisles
extending Eastwards to form transepts, central tower and spire, South
transeptal chapel, 3 bay chancel, and North vestry. Moulded cill string,
continuous hoodmould, buttresses with set-backs and pinnacles above,
parapet string, and battlemented parapet, except to aisles. Tower:
3 stages; square second stage with corner pinnacles, and chamfered
corners to octagonal bell stage. String course, parapet string,
battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles, and short spire with pinnacled
gabled lucarnes, and finial with weathervane. 2-light second stage
windows to North and South with hoodmoulds; 2-light louvred bell-chamber
openings on cardinal faces with hoodmoulds. Nave and aisles: 4-light West
window with panelled tracery, West doorway beneath with boarded doors, 2-
light West aisle windows; South side; 4 bays; 2-light windows with quatre-
foil tracery, 3-light East window with panelled tracery; 2 bay chapel
projecting to right with 2-light 4-centred arched windows; South doorway in
second bay from left with moulded arch and two C15 boarded doors; South porch
with moulded arch and 2-light side windows; North side: 4 bays; 2-light
windows, 3-light East window with panelled tracery, blocked door in second
bay from West. Chancel: 3 bays, 3-light South windows with panelled tracery,
4-centred moulded-arched doorway beneath centre window with square head, and
carved spandrels; two 3-light North windows, gabled vestry to North-East
with 2-light North and East windows; large 5-light East window with transom
and panelled tracery; North-East angle buttresses with 2 ogee-arched niches;
one with C20 figure. Interior: 3 bay nave arcades with octagonal piers,
moulded bases and capitals, double chamfered arches dying into responds,
and hoodmoulds to South; double chamfered arches at East end of aisles and
crossing, 5 bay C15 nave roof with carved corbels supporting cambered ties,
moulded beams, and carved bosses; C15 lean-to aisle roofs; 5 bay C15 chancel
roof; 4-centred moulded-arched vestry doorway with square head, and trefoiled
panelled door with quatrefoil bottom panels, and 3 circular holes; 3 bay
sedilia with cusped trefoiled arches; piscina with cinquefoil arch; evidence
of former niches flanking East window; South (Vernon) chapel: moulded ogee-
arched doorway with finial and 4-centred boarded door, fan vault with shafts
and carved pendants, altar slab, piscina, aumbry, and inscription and remains
of painted crucifixion on East wall. Fittings: parish chest dated 1625,
carved coat of arms of 1814 in North aisle; C15 octagonal stone font with
large stepped base, and carved trefoiled sides with shields; octagonal wooden
pulpit dated 1629 with 2 tiers of arched panels, turned stem, and stairs with
turned balusters; C15 North and South aisle screens of 5 bays with traceried
lower panels, ogee lights with open panelled tracery, carved figures, and
cresting; C15 chancel screen of 9 bays with traceried lower panels, ogee
lights with open panelled tracery, carved friezes and cresting; C15 chancel
stalls with 3-light traceried back panels, carved frieze, cresting, carved
misericords, and desks with traceried panels and ends, and carved poppy-
heads; 1899 sanctuary panelling; C19 reredos from Oberammergau; copy of parish
map by Evelyn Knight of 1759 in North transept; c1600 vestment in vestry.
Stained glass: C15 in West window, with figures; East window of 1900 by
Kempe. Exceptional series of monuments including: panel from a tomb chest
on North wall with carved angel holding shield; C13 incised slab to priest
in North transept; Sir Fulke and Lady Elizabeth de Pembruge (founders of
the college) of 1408-47, alabaster chest tomb with 2 recumbant effigies and
sides with single and double tiers of alternating arches; Sir Richard Vernon
and wife of 1451, alabaster chest tomb with 2 recumbant effigies and sides
with alternating saints and angels in canopied niches; Sir William Vernon
and wife of 1467, chest tomb with 2 brasses and sides with carved quatrefoil
panels; Ralph Elcott of 1510, brass of priest in South aisle wall; Sir Harry
Vernon of 1515, chest tomb between South transept and Vernon chapel in
panelled elliptical arch with canepied niches, chest tomb with 2 effigies,
and sides with alternating angels and shields; Arthur Vernon, M. A. Cantab,
of 1517, brass on floor of Vernon chapel, and canopied niche in the West
wall with demi figure holding pen; Richard Vernon and wife of 1517, alabaster
chest tomb with 2 effigies and sides with alternating angels and bedesmen;
Humphrey Vernon and wife of 1542, incised slab on plain chest tomb; Mrs.
Wylde of 1624, kneeling figure on West wall of chancel; Sir Edward Stanley
of 1632 and his parents Sir Thomas Stanley (1576) and Margaret Vernon, 2
tier table tomb with effigy of Edward below and black columns supporting
top tier with effigies of parents and obelisks at corners; Elizabeth
Pierrepont of 1696, relief portrait in medallion on North wall of chancel;
George Durant of 1780, tablet at crossing with mourning woman below urn,
probably by John Bacon. St. Bartholomew's church was largely re-built
after the founding of a chantry college here in 1410 by Elizabeth de Pembruge;
none of the collegiate buildings survive but the remains of almshouses still
stand to the West (qv).Cranage, Vol 1, pp. 42-54; N. Pevsner, B.O.E.
Shropshire, pp. 301-4; G. Griffith, History of Tona and Boscobel, 1894.

Listing NGR: SJ7956507384

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.