British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Oswald, Oswestry

Description: Church of St Oswald

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 10 September 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 255518

OS Grid Reference: SJ2886929368
OS Grid Coordinates: 328869, 329368
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8571, -3.0578

Location: 40-42 Church Street, Oswestry SY11 2SY

Locality: Oswestry
County: Shropshire
Country: England
Postcode: SY11 2SY

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text


Church of St. Oswald


Parish church. Medieval fabric largely re-modelled after extensive
Civil War damage in 2 phases in late C17, repaired c. 1807 and c. 1830
and thoroughly restored and slightly extended by G. E. Street in
1872-4. Coursed sandstone with ashlar to Street's additions, slate
roofs with ornamental cresting and coped verges. Large complicated
plan consisting of nave, chancel, south-west tower, wide north aisle,
double south aisle, transepts, north and south chancel chapels, south
porch and south-east vestry; a prominent brown brick and concrete
parish room, attached to west side of north transpet, was added in
late C20. Tower: late C12/early C13 to bottom 3 stages, which have
prominent stepped angle buttresses and an integral stair turret to
south-west corner; scattered lancet and narrow round-headed openings
either original or C17 with rectangular opening to first stage on
south side; below this is a slightly cambered doorway with nail-studded
plank and muntin door and lintel recording the names of the church
wardensin 1692; this is probably the date of the re-building of the top
stage when the balustrade, crocketed corner pinnacles and 2-light
belfry windows were added; the large window with intersecting tracery
on the north face of third stage is also of this period; blocked doorway
beneath [obscured by ivy at time of re-survey (1985)] probably c. 1662.
Nave: hidden by aisles except for late C19 west window and pointed
doorway considerably restored by Street; in angle with tower and actually
belonging to south aisle is a late C17 window; the aisle has a gable
to south with a late C19 Decorated-style window and has a lean-to
roof abutting east face of the tower,gabled ashlar porch by Street has
good moulded arch resting on columns with natural leaf capitals;
south transept also has a late C19 Decorated-style window, although
the stonework like that of south aisle is of medieval or C17 appearance,
late C19 vestry projecting to east. Chancel and flanking chapels
probably late C17 and present 3 gables to Church Street, windows all
C19, although east window with its curious mixture of reticulated and
panel tracery is said to be an 1861 copy of an earlier window; south
chancel chapel much re-built and embattled parapet added c. 1830;
north transept entirely by Street on east and west sides but north wall
is earlier and has a blocked doorway bearing names of 4 churchwardens
in 1715; buttressed north aisle has 3 late C19 windows with panel
tracery on north side and one on west, probably copies of late C17
windows, west bay on north left blind. Interior: almost entirely of
late C19 appearance and dominated by Street's restoration, the most
curious feature being the 2 octagonal piers set very close together
at the east end of 4-bay nave arcades; south aisle and transept arches
also by Street but the pointed 3-bay arcades with octagonal pillars to
chancel are either late C14 or C17; arch-braced collar-beam roofs
to nave and aisles and panelled wagon roofs to chancel and flanking
chapels all by Street, as are transept roofs; round-headed doorway
to north side of tower has late C12 appearance but is probably C17.
Most of fittings and furnishings including font by south door, stone
pulpit, marble reredos (1880) and wooden parclose screens to chancel
by Street but octagonal font with spread-eagle carving to one of sides
in north aisle is dated 1662; long oak chest with iron hinges in north
transept and chest with traceried decoration in south transept probably
both partly medieval; some C16/17 panelling is re-used in one of chancel
benches and there is a small panel fixed to east wall of tower; stained
glass all mid- to late C19 and south transept war memorial and reredos
by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Monuments: north aisle: Hugh Yale (died
1616) and wife, large wall monument against north wall with 2 large
kneeling figures in round-arched recess facing each other over mutilated
prayer desk, columns with crude acanthus decoration to capitals, the
whole surmounted by strapwork achievement with flanking obelisks and
coat-of-arms and skull-and-cross-bones to centre; good collection of
C17 to C19 commemorative brass plates and walltablets fixed to north
and east sides of tower; further C18 wall memorials in north chancel
chapel where there is also a possibly C17 chest. A church is recorded
at Oswestry in Domesday (although it was possibly not on this site) and
it is likely to have originated as a minster foundation. B.O.E. pp. 222-3;
D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908) pp. 809-17.

Listing NGR: SJ2886629370

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.