British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Michael, West Felton

Description: Church of St Michael

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 8 October 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 255803

OS Grid Reference: SJ3411425225
OS Grid Coordinates: 334114, 325225
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8205, -2.9791

Locality: West Felton
County: Shropshire
Country: England
Postcode: SY11 4QE

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Motte Castle Adjacent to St Michael's Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Listing Text

SJ 32 NW
7/90 Church of St Michael

Parish church. Early and late Cl2 with tower of 1784; north aisle of
1841 and chancel by George Gilbert Scott in 1848. Further restoration
in 1878/9: south aisle, porch and vestry with south wall of chancel rebuilt
at same time. Sandstone ashlar to tower, north aisle and chancel (except
south side); regularly coursed and dressed rock-faced sandstone with ashlar
dressings to remainder;machine tile roofs with coped verges. Nave; chancel;
west tower; north aisle; south aisle and porch; south vestry. Tower:
in 3 stages with corner pilasters, moulded cornice and parapet; pyramidal
tile cap with late C18 weathercock. Belfry has louvred round-headed windows
with projecting keystones and imposts; roundels below on north, south and
west with similar moulded keystones; iron grilles to those on north and
west and clock to south. Blind roundels, also with keystones, to second
stage on north and south. Infilled square-headed doorway on north and
inserted 3-light Decorated-style window of 1878/9 to west. Lean-to south
aisle buttressed in 5 bays with continuous moulded cill band; 3 paired
2-light windows with cusped heads, one to left and 2 to right of gabled
porch in third bay from west. This has pointed double-chamfered outer
arch with hoodmould and carved cross to gable; encaustic tile floor and
contemporary double-chamfered inner door. West wall of aisle has 2-light
Decorated-style window. North aisle in 4 bays has paired lancets with
hoodmoulds plus carved heads at intersection to left and right windows,
third window from left incorporating doorway with segmental-pointed arch
below. Similar window to west wall. East wall has triplet of stepped
lancets with moulded shafts and stiff-leaf capitals; hoodmould with floriated
label-stops. Chancel: 2 windows on north with reticulated tracery and
hoodmoulds with floriated label stops. East window of 3 cusped lights
with mouchettes above; 2-light Decorated-style window (c.1879) on south.
Gabled south vestry has 3-light Decorated-style window to gable, which
has octagonal louvre-like finial. Pointed doorway with hoodmould and
floriated label-stops to east. Interior. Early C12 north nave arcade
of 4 round-headed arches with one step and single chamfering; circular
piers with square abaci and chamfered bases; C12 masonry above arches.
South nave arcade also in 4 bays in early Transitional style but apparently
largely rebuilt in 1878/9. Round-headed arches with one step and without
chamfering; circular piers with heavily restored capitals and bases, octagonal
abaci. Restored 4-centred chancel arch probably C14 and stilted pointed
tower arch of 1878/9. C15 arch-braced collar beam roof in 6 bays to
nave with cusped struts to principal rafters forming lozenge shapes and
2 tiers of cusped windbraces. Panelled roof (probably c.1879) to chancel
and collar-braced roof (1841) to north aisle. Octagonal C15 font with
pedestal and carved quatrefoils to bowl considerably restored 1840. Oak
chest at west end of nave inscribed with the date "1686" and the churchwardens'
initials "TB" and "ID"; C17 chest in front of north door has rosette decorat-
ion and inscription "RC". C17 table (now altar) at east end of north
aisle has turned balusters and round-headed arches with leaf carving to span-
drels. Wooden pulpit with carved Gothic tracery dated 1879 and other fittings
and furnishings late C19. Good collection of stained glass: east window
depicting scenes from Crucifixion, probably by David Evans of Shrewsbury.
More Evans glass in north aisle; east and north-east windows presented by
Kenyon family in 1841/2 and 1861 respectively; small medallions depicting
famous paintings such as Raphael's Transfiguration and Rubens's Christ Taken
Down from the Cross. Window above north door showing Moses and Aaron probably
contemporary with construction of aisle. Glass in third window from west
in memory of members of Mostyn-Owen family of Woodhouse (q.v.) by Kempe (1902).
Mid-C19 stained glass in chancel north wall, right window c.1860. Glass
in first window from west in south aisle (eastern of 2 lights) reputed to
be by Ninian Comper (c.1925). Monuments. Chancel north wall: cartouche
to Edward Jones (died 1673). South nave arcade (east end): elaborate wall
memorial with fluted urn on tapering chest tomb, erected by John Dovaston
in 1793 in memory of his parents and brothers. Various C19 wall memorials
to members of Mostyn-Owen family in north aisle. A board dated 1718 on tower
south wall records lands belonging to West Felton Parsonage at that time.
B.o.E. pp. 311-12; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908)
pp. 785-87; Trans. Salop Arch. Soc. 2nd Ser. Vol. IX pp. 309-84.

Listing NGR: SJ3411425225

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.