Description: Remains of Compound Pier Approximately 20 Metres North East of Chancel of Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 21 March 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 257371
OS Grid Reference: SO2615298546
OS Grid Coordinates: 326152, 298546
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5797, -3.0912
CHIRBURY C.P. CHIRBURY
SO 29 NE
8/46 Remains of compound
- pier approx. 20m
north-east of chancel
21.3.67 of Church of St.
listed as Remains
of monastery, in
churchyard of St.
Compound pier, remains of. Late C13. Red sandstone ashlar. Surviving
fragment approx. 1.2m high; octagonal core with slim triple shafts against
each side, moulded base. In situ and has been suggested as the remains
of a central column of the now demolished chapter house of Chirbury
Priory (q.v. under Church of St. Michael). B.O.E. p.98; D.H.S. Cranage,
The Churches of Shro shire, Part 7 (1905) pp.541-42.
Listing NGR: SO2615298546
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.