Description: Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 21 March 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 257629
OS Grid Reference: SO3864785732
OS Grid Coordinates: 338647, 285732
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4661, -2.9045
EDGTON C.P. EDGTON
SO 38 NE
1/125 Church of St. Michael
Chapel-of-ease, now parish church. Early C13, largely rebuilt 1895-6.
Roughly coursed limestone rubble with angle quoins and regularly coursed
and dressed sandstone to west wall; machine tile roof has ornamental
cresting and coped verges on carved stone kneelers. Nave and chancel
in one with west bellcote; north-east vestry. South side has broad C19
lancets to left and right with small C13 lancet (possibly reset) to right
of centre. North side has 2 low broad pointed windows, right in position
of infilled doorway. C13 single-chamfered pointed west doorway with
imposts and hoodmould has contemporary lancet above. Restored nail-studded
plank door with internal strap hinges is probably C17. Late C19 gabled
bellcote has twin pointed openings housing bells. Late C19 two-light
Decorated-style east window. Lean-to vestry has broad lancet on east side.
Interior: collar beam roof (c.1895) in 6 bays. High box pews incorporate
reused C17 panelling with a variety of motifs including vines, acorns and
floral and geometric patterns. Two superscribed texts to pew backs on
south side: "REPENT . AND . BELIEVE . THE . GOSPEL . MB . 1631" and
"(P) OSSESSE . YOUR . SOULES . WITH . PATIENCE . AGAINST . THIS . WICKED
WO(RLD)" and one on north side "POWRE . OUT . YOUR . PRAYERS. WITH .
REVERENCE . TO THE LORD". H-hinges to some of pew ends. Plain circular
font of indeterminate but probably early medieval date on C19 moulded plinth.
Jacobean chair to north of altar and C19 wall cupboard to south-east corner
of chancel. Other fittings and furnishings,including pulpit and choir
stalls, 1895/6 or later. Monuments: wall memorial to north of altar to
Thomas Bird of Brunslow (died 1664) and his wife, Alice, erected by their
grandson, Thomas: fluted Ionic columns with carved volutes and segmental
pediment broken by cartouche; cherub's head below inscription. C18
hatchment directly above and another to right. C18 grave slabs (probably
formerly on floor) fixed to splays of C13 south lancet and to nave walls.
Two plain early C19 wall memorials in nave, north side. Originally a
chapelry of Clun, Edgton became a separate parish in 1812. B.O.E. p. 126;
D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 5 (1901) pp. 396-7;
appendix p. 991.
Listing NGR: SO3864785732
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.