British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Whitton Hall, Westbury

Description: Whitton Hall

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 29 January 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 259037

OS Grid Reference: SJ3457709099
OS Grid Coordinates: 334577, 309099
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6756, -2.9690

Location: Westbury, Shropshire SY5 9RD

Locality: Westbury
County: Shropshire
Country: England
Postcode: SY5 9RD

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

SJ 3409 WESTBURY C.P. WHITTON LANE (north-west side)

17/130 Whitton Hall


Country house. Circa 1720-30, probably for Alexander Top (II) and later his
son John Topp (I); restored and extended soon after 1920. Red brick
with grey sandstone dressings; slate roofs. Shallow U-plan with
additions to north-east. 2 storeys and attic. Stone bands at ceiling
levels, moulded wooden eaves cornice, and stone coped parapeted gables
with moulded kneelers; large brick ridge stacks off-centre to left and
right and integral brick end stacks at rear of wings, all with stone
caps. South-east (entrance) front: 2:1:1:1:2 bays with projecting
gabled wings; centre bay slightly projecting with open triangular
pediment on flat shaped brackets against wall, and with round-arched
window in tympanum which has moulded architrave with impost blocks and
keystone; glazing bar sashes with exposed boxes and thick bars (except
for 2 late C18 replacements on ground floor to left) stone cills, and
gauged brick heads with triple keystones; central first-floor window
with moulded architrave and single horizontal-sliding glazing bar sashes
in gables; central mid-C18 half-glazed Gothick door with 2 lower raised
and fielded panels and 3 cusped ogee-headed lights, and doorcase with
lugged architrave,frieze and triangular pediment. Early C20 gabled
addition set back to right is of 3 storeys and 2 bays. Left-hand
return front of 3 bays; blind segmental-headed windows except for
central first-floor glazing bar sash. North-west (garden) front:
slightly altered in early C20; balustraded parapet to centre; 3:1:3 bays,
glazing bar sashes with C20 tiled cills and segmental heads; central bay
slightly projecting with wooden balustrade to centre of parapet and door
with 6 raised and fielded panels, moulded architrave, radial fanlight,
flush keystone, and flanking narrow 6-pane windows; early C20 addition
to left has projecting 2-storey semi-circular bay with balustraded
parapet. C18 lead downpipes with moulded rainwater heads. Exception-
ally well preserved early C18 interior; entrance hall: raised and fielded
wainscot panelling, fireplace wall fully panelled with dado rail, moulded
cornice; some reordered C17 panelling with inscribed letters within
lozenges; fireplace consisting of moulded depressed-arched marble
surround with raised and fielded panelled sides, imposts and moulded key,
moulded architrave, and moulded dentil cornice; archway into staircase
hall; door with 6 raised and fielded panels, fluted architrave, radial
fanlight, and surround with fluted Doric pilasters and arch with moulded
architrave and keystone; drawing room: raised and fielded panelling,
moulded cornice, fireplace with shallow-carved frieze to moulded cornice,
raised and and fielded panel above, and flanking fluted Doric pilasters,
each supporting a short section of entablature with triglyphs and guttae;
round-arched buffet to left with keystone and shaped shelves; segmental-
arched recess to right; ground floor front room to left; remodelled
in late C18 (see sashes) with Neo-Classical marble fireplace; dining room
(probable former kitchen): moulded cornice; large open fireplace with
moulded segmental arch and moulded cornice; staircase: 3 flights around
rectangular well with landings, open string with cut brackets, 3 turned
balusters per tread (plain, twisted and fluted), turned newel posts, and
ramped and wreathed moulded handrail with columnular bottom newel post;
back staircase rising to attic: dog-leg with with winders, open string,
2 turned balusters per tread, and moulded ramped handrail; first-floor
corridors: 5 segmental and round archways with panelled piers, moulded
imposts and keystones; one with Y-tracery in fanlight; 3 bedrooms
inspected: one has re-ordered C17 panelling with fluting and inscribed
initials: "INRI", "SPE" and "TSM"; C18 cornice; fireplace with
roll-moulded arch, an moulded cornice; one front bedroom has fireplace
with lugged architrave and moulded dentil cornice; walls with cable-fluted Doric
pilasters, pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice; arched recess; other
front bedroom has fireplace with marble surround, lugged architrave,
central key, and moulded dentil cornice; raised and fielded panel above;
flanking cable-fluted pilasters without entasis, pulvinated frieze and
moulded cornice; panelled window seats. 6-panelled doors (some
with L-shaped hinges), internal panelled window shutters, and fireplaces
with late C18 or early C19 cast iron grates throughout; attic: probable
crucks reused as curved principals, and wall-plates or cill beams reused
as purlins, probably from former house on site. Whitton was the home of
the Lingen family during the C16 and the Topp family during the C17 and
C18, from which time most of the present buildings date. The house
stands within the remains of a moat which can still be discerned
to the south and contains some water to the east, and there is large
fish pond to the south. Several sources record the existence of a
number of reused stones in a garden wall inscribed: "I U" (John and
Ursula Topp),"1727", and "1731". The V.C.H. suggests they probably came
from the south front "where stone dressings have been rebuilt in brick
since c,1830", but this is not proven as the south front still has stone
dressings. The inscribed stones were not located at time of survey
(July 1985). The house forms the centrepiece of a good small country
house group including a former service block (q.v.) and stable block
(q.v.) flanking the forecourt to the south, a dovecote (q.v.) and a
barn (q.v.). A small probably late C18 latticed wooden chinoiserie
summerhouse standing in the garden to the north was dismantled for
repairs at time of survey and an C18 summerhouse on the hill opposite the
house to the south was derelict at the time of survey, neither is
included on this list. Whitton Hall is a complete example of a small
C18 country house, especially notable for its largely unaltered
interior and its outbuildings, V.C.H. Vol. VIII, pp. 313-4; B.O.E.
p. 318; H.E. Forrest, FLS, Some old Shropshire houses and their
owners (1924), pp. 1-7; C. Ryan, The evolution of the peasant house
in Shropshire. Medieval - c.1850. The Parish of Westbury, unpublished
thesis (October 1979), Manchester University, p. 240.

Listing NGR: SJ3457709099

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.