Description: Milestone Approximately 160 Metres to South East of the Four Crosses Public House
Date Listed: 27 November 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 259072
OS Grid Reference: SJ4562414207
OS Grid Coordinates: 345624, 314207
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7228, -2.8065
BICTON C.P. A5 (T) (south-west side)
SJ 41 SE
SJ 4562 1421
10/12 Milestone approx. 160
- metres to south-east of
The Four Crosses Public House
Milestone. Early C19. Thomas Telford, engineer. Tooled granite with
shallow-pointed top and chamfered corners. Cast-iron plate with superscribed
serif lettering: "HOLY-/HEAD/ 104-M/ SALOP/2M-6F". This is one of a series
of milestones alongside the A5 (Holyhead Road).Telford was the engineer for
the Holyhead Road improvements which were carried out in the 15 years after
1817. The Four Crosses Public House is not included on this list. L.T.C.
Rolt, Thomas Telford (1958), pp. 110-129; Brian Bracegirdle and Patricia H.
Miles, Thomas Telford (1973), pp. 68-83.
Listing NGR: SJ4562414207
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.