If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Stanwardine Hall
Date Listed: 27 May 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 260727
OS Grid Reference: SJ4274627806
OS Grid Coordinates: 342746, 327806
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8447, -2.8515
There is also a scheduled monument, Stanwardine Moated Site and Associated Fishpond, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
BASCHURCH C.P. STANWARDINE-IN-THE-WOOD
SJ 42 NW
12/28 Stanwardine Hall
Manor house, now farmhouse. Dated 1588 (inside) for Robert Corbet, extended
early C17 for his son, Thomas Corbet with further remodelling of 1713
(datestone) for Sir John Wynne; later additions and alterations. Red
brick (English bond to C16 and C17 parts) with sandstone ashlar dressings
and ashlar-faced porch; slate roofs, graded to rear with weathercock to
front gable of cross-wing T-plan with 2 narrow projecting gabled wings
to main range, right forming porch; gabled cross-wing to right is early
C17 addition, extended to rear in 1713. 2 storeys and attics with semi-
basement to cross-wing, chamfered sandstone plinth plus angle quoins and
moulded cill band to first floor of main range. Stone mullioned and
mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lights throughout, one on each
floor to left gable and to either side of porch, with variety of mouldings.
Cross-wing has plain chamfered mullioned and transomed windows on each
floor to gable and to left return. Left gabled wing has dentilled
decoration to shaped gable with stone coping surmounted by ball finial;
carving of raven (rebus for Corbet) in circular panel to apex. Porch
has carvings of griffins to corners below first-floor window with Corbet
family coat-of-arms to centre. Carving of elephant and castle to apex
of shaped gable, which has elaborately moulded coping and ball finial.
Plain pilastered outer doorway with moulded entablature and depressed
Tudor arch. Inner moulded doorway with cambered head has massive plank
door with fleur-de-lys pointed strap hinges. Integral lateral stack to
right side of left gabled wing with 2 detached diagonal shafts and single
stack to right side of porch. Prominent integral stack in bottom of
roof slope to far right of main range has 5 attached and rebated shafts.
Integral lateral stack to left of cross-wing with detached diagonal shafts
and shaped gable with stepped external end stack at right-angles to right.
This has small C19 casements in infilled segmental-headed openings to
ground and first floors. C19 service block attached to right. Right
return of cross-wing with full-height gable projecting to right of centre
has variety of mullioned, infilled wooden cross windows, leaded and C19
casements and one glazing bar sash window. Entrance through tall round-
headed arch-way with boarded door in narrow lean-to to left of projecting
gable, which also has later 2-storey lean to to right. Red-brick ridge
stack with 2 detached diagonal shafts to gable. Rear has wide projecting
gabled range (probably 1713) to left with two C19 lean-tos attached.
Main range has full-height gabled projection housing staircase to left and
prominent external lateral stack to right with angle quoins and 3 detached
diagonal shafts. Flat-roofed projection attached to right with possible
garderobe between has crenellated parapet partly concealing timber framed
gable with cusped lozenge decoration. Mullioned and mullioned and
transomed windows throughout, mostly infilled including 3-light windows
on each floor of flat-roofed projection to right. Interior. Entrance
hall, now divided into several rooms, has late C16 plaster frieze
decorated with pomegranates, trailing vines, acorns, shields and lion's
heads; moulded cornice. Stone flag floor and infilled fireplace to
back wall with pilastered surround and moulded overmantel. Small panelled
room to right of porch has carved rectangular panel with representation of
a raven and inscription "1588/C/RI". Large rectangular panels to walls
look early C18 but reused Jacobean panelling around
infilled fireplace. Solid block oak staircase in gabled projection to
rear rises in short straight flights (note small spy-hatch into entrance
hall) and leads on first floor to great chamber directly above entrance
hall. This has moulded cross-beam ceiling and fireplace with moulded
stone surround and depressed lintel. Possible garderobe behind
fireplace. Small room on first floor of porch has stone fireplace with
Tudor arch and inserted Coalbrookdale grate. Moulded cross-beam
ceiling in room to right of porch, which also has C18 fireplace with
moulded surround and mantel-shelf supported on carved consoles. Cross-
wing has timber frame (square panels) to cross-walls and front room has
early C17 square and rectangular oak panelling, some of which has been
removed to Petton Church (q.v. under Petton C.P.) and decorated late
C18 cast-iron Coalbrookdale fireplace. Room to rear on right has deep-
chamfered ceiling beams and datestone above infilled fireplace of present
kitchen below. This reads "SRIW/KNT & BAT 1713". Short spiral staircase
of solid block treads leads from cross-wing down to ground floor into
passage with stone cambered arch-way. This leads to kitchen (formerly
open to ceiling of room above) which now has chamfered ceiling beams and
joists, presumably inserted after 1713. Earlier kitchen in sub-basement
of cross-wing. Panelled doors (C16 to C18) throughout, many with H-hinges.
Inset panelled wall cupboards, many with butterfly hinges. Wide boarded
floor boards to first floor and attic,which has multi-bay collar-beam roof
with double purlins and straight windbraces. An earlier house lay on the
moated house platform (Scheduled Ancient Monument, County No. 267 )
approximately loom to south-west. B.O.E. p. 292; H.E. Forrest in Trans.
Salop Arch. Soc. 4th Series, Vol. VIII (1920-21), pp. 85-7; Mrs. Frances
Stackhouse Acton, Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire (1868), p. 56.
Listing NGR: SJ4274627806
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.