British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Andrew and St Mary, Pitminster

Description: Church of St Andrew and St Mary

Grade: I
Date Listed: 25 February 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 271062

OS Grid Reference: ST2206419112
OS Grid Coordinates: 322064, 119112
Latitude/Longitude: 50.9661, -3.1112

Location: 1 The Green, Pitminster, Somerset TA3 7BA

Locality: Pitminster
Local Authority: Taunton Deane Borough Council
County: Somerset
Country: England
Postcode: TA3 7BA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Pitminster, Somerset at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

12/119 Church of St Andrew and St Mary
Parish church. Circa 1300, enlarged C15, restored, north aisle, south porch and north
-west chapel rebuilt, clearstorey windows replaced and chancel arch rebuilt 1869 by
Sir George Gilbert Scott, 1937 chancel restored by W D Caroe, 1979 lady chapel restored.
Random rubble local stone, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, lead roofs to
spire and south porch. West tower with spire, south-west vestry and north-west chapel,
3-bay aisled nave with clearstorey,north-east lady chapel, south east chapel now organ
bay, chancel. Two-stage square tower, broached to octagon with quatrefoil parapet and
2-light bell-opening, spire, 3-light west window, 2-light to vestry, setback buttresses,
diagonally buttressed south aisle, gabled C19 single storey porch, diagonally buttressed,
moulded arched opening, moulded inner doorway, C19 door with decorative hinges, two
3-light windows right flanking stepped buttress, rood stair turret, C19 octagonal upper
stage with pierced parapet, 3-light windows to organ bay, good blue lias tablet on east
wall to ----- died 1720, incised decoration and angel heads, south wall of chancel
projection for tomb lit by 2-light C20 window above, diagonally buttressed chancel,
4-light east window, similar projection but with buttress on north wall of chancel,
3-light east window to slightly projecting diagonally buttressed lady chapel, pierced
quatrefoil parapet with shields, none to aisle parapet, ogee headed priests door in north
-east corner, two 3-light windows left of 2-storey porch with pierced quatrefoil parapet
with shields,none to aisle parapet,ogee headed priests doorin north-east corner,two
3 light windows left of 2 storey porch with pierced quatrefoil parapet
above chamfered, 4-centre arched doorway to parvise not seen), gable over chamfered
arched entrance, chamfered arched inner doorway with engaged colonettes, C19 door, stair
turret on right return, 2-light west window to chapel. Interior: rendered. Three bay
arcade of clustered colonettes with pointed arches chamfered in 2 orders, local grey
sandstone to arches of original south arcade; pointed tower arch chamfered in 2
orders, late C19 4-centred arches to west chapel and vestry, C19 arch to lady chapel
from north aisle, Perpendicular arches with angle capitals between lady chapel and
chancel, similar with twisted leaf decoration to capitals between organ bay and chancel,
and organ bay and south aisle. Roofs: chancel, renewed ceiled ribbed barrel vault with
bosses and wall plate, similar but restored roof to nave with C19 quatrefoil clearstorey
windows, C19 monopitch ceiling to north aisle, C19 cambered compartment ceiling to south
aisle, C15 compartment ceiling to tower. Moulded arched doorway to roodstair in south
aisle.Lady chapel with trefoil headed piscina and part of stone support with trefoil headed
panelling in south-east corner, mutilated stone in north east corner, presumably part of
crocketed statue niche.In chancel 2 fine recumbent effigy tombs:left John Coles died 1607
and his wife Ann, daughter of Sir John Thynne of Longleat, painted in 1937, with alabaster
children kneeling below; right John Coles died 1627 and his wife Elizabeth Wyndham died
1634, with 4 daughters kneeling below. Recumbant effigy of Humphrey Coles, died 1570 has been
resited from chancel in the the north-west chapel. Humphrey Coles purchased the lands of
Taunton Priory at the Dissolution and built a large mansion, part of which survives at
Barton Grange (qv). Collection of mainly early C19 tablets, particularly to members of
the Vibart family of Amberd House. Two hatchments, that of William Hawker, died 1806, and
his daughter Ann, died 1834. A few early C16 bench ends, majority C19. Very handsome early
C17 pulpit with sounding board from the Bluecoat school in Frome, probably by London
craftsmen. Linenfold panelling by organ. Octagonal Perpendicular font, quatrefoil
decorated panels, 2 carved with depictions of St George and St James of Conpostela, later
panel depicting Christ. Good brass lectern in memory of William Amasa Copp died 1901.
Altar table and sanctuary fittings by W D Caroe. Remains of medieval stained glass in
upper lights of lady chapel north window; collection of late C19-mid C20 glass
including lady chapel east window 1894 and west window 1904, both by Keape, east window
1881.A fine collection of fittings.
(Photograph in NMR; Peden, St Mary and St Andrew Pitminster, 1983).

Listing NGR: ST2206319110

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.