If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Gregory
Date Listed: 25 February 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 271235
OS Grid Reference: ST3481127154
OS Grid Coordinates: 334811, 127154
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0400, -2.9312
Explore more of the area around Stoke St Gregory, Somerset at Explore Britain.
ST32NW STOKE ST GREGORY CP
STOKE ST GREGORY VILLAGE
3/67 Church of St Gregory
Parish church. C14, refenestrated and upper stage of tower added late C15, aisles reroofed 1766, parapets renewed 1780s
and late C20, church restored 1844 and 1886-8 by Houghton Spencer when tower strengthened, blocked arch between north
aisle and transept opened, west gallery removed and south transept reroofed. Squared and coursed blue lias, Ham stone
dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, quatrefoil pierced parapets to aisles, porch and north transept, solid parapets
to west gale end and south transept. Four bay aisled nave with clerestory, north and south transepts, tower over
crossing, north-east vestry and chancel. West gable end 2 x 5-light window above 4-centred arch doorway with decorative
spandrels, flanked by stepped buttresses and 3-light aisle windows, south front two left and one right of single
storey, diagonally buttressed porch with quatrefoil pierced parapet and sundial, moulded pointed arch opening, 4-panel
compartment ceiling, built-in benches against wall, moulded pointed arch inner doorway, early door with long hinges,
crocheted niche above containing figure of St Gregory with quill pen writing in a book, a dove beside him, diagonally
buttressed south transept, 2 x 4 pane window, 2 small trefoil-headed lancets on east wall, two 2-light windows south
side of diagonally buttressed chancel, 3-light east window, north side vestry with 2-light window inserted between
2-light chancel windows, 3-light on east front of north transept, 2 x 4-light window on north front with date 1787
discernible in parapet, one 3-light window left and 2 right of blocked, moulded pointed arch doorway, stepped
buttresses between; 2-light trefoil headed windows to clerestory. Octagonal tower over crossing, crenellated, pointed
lead roof with weathervane, string course with gargoyles, Ham stone dressing to upper stage with 2-light, trefoil
headed mullioned and transomed windows blocked in lower lights, limestone dressings to lower stages with colonnettes to
arrises, continuous hoodmould over pointed arch niches containing C19 statues on 5 sides, plain lower stage visible at
junctions with offset below, also evidence of higher chancel roof; stair turret with solid parapet and walkway to
tower, Interior: exposed irregularly coursed lias with Ham stone dressings. Arch between chancel and crossing chamfered
in 2 orders, other 3 arches chamfered in 3 orders, squinches supporting tower. Perpendicular 4-bay arcade with
unusually complex moulding between colonnettes on piers, carved capitals. Ribbed wagon roof to chancel, nave wagon roof
with moulded ribs and some bosses, south aisle roof moulded compartment ceiling, one beam dated 1766 with name of Thos.
Harp Carpenter, similar roof to north. South transept chapel larger than north with 3 blocked niches in east wall by
lancet with retains of red pigment. Two slate floor slabs dated 1682 and 1795, latter to Alexander Courte. Outstanding
early C17 pulpit with 4 carved figures representing faith, hope, charity and justice, and another unidentified. Vestry
screen composed of former reading desk and panelling, 3 bays of linenfold with inset pieces of carving possibly
depicting the Wise Virgins, 2 pieces dated, 1628 and 1595. Good collection of C16 bench ends. Mid C14 font. Painting on
wood depicting King david with harp, similar to one in North Curry Church (qv). Royal Coat of Arms of Queen Victoria
painted on canvas. Pieces of medieval glass in upper lights of western windows in aisles. A very fine church, similar
in design to Church of St Michael, North Curry CP but not so extensively restored in the C19 (Photograph in NMR;
Kelly's Directory 1914; Olivey, North Curry, 1901; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST3481027155
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.