British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Andrew, Clifton Campville

Description: Church of St Andrew

Grade: I
Date Listed: 27 February 1964
English Heritage Building ID: 272752

OS Grid Reference: SK2529010784
OS Grid Coordinates: 425290, 310784
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6942, -1.6272

Location: Church Street, Clifton Campville, Staffordshire B79 0AR

Locality: Clifton Campville
Local Authority: Lichfield District Council
County: Staffordshire
Country: England
Postcode: B79 0AR

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Clifton Campville, Staffordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


11/2 Church of St. Andrew


Parish church. Early C13 core of nave and chancel; transepts added
towards the end of the C13 to form a cruciform plan; remodelling of
the period circa 1300 to circa 1340 included the addition of the west
tower, south aisle and chapel and the extension of the chancel. Partly
restored in the mid-C19, repairs to roof and spire were being undertaken
at time of resurvey (November 1985). The C13 masonry is coursed and
roughly squared stone, the C14 masonry is large dressed blocks of ashlar
quality with occasional narrow 'closers'; plain tile roof. West tower
with semi-octagonal stair turret to the south; 3-bay nave with south
aisle incorporating the remains of the south transept and extending
a further 2 bays to the east as a chapel; north and south porches;
north transept; 4-bay chancel. Tower: early Cl4. 3 stages, moulded
plinth, gabled diagonal buttresses, each with 2 gabled off-sets, recessed
stone spire with flying buttresses, rising from each corner of the
tower. The first stage has large pointed windows with sloping sills,
roll and fillet moulded jambs, and roll moulded mullions. The north
and south windows each have 3 trefoil headed lights and cusped intersecting
tracery; the 4-light west window has C19 Decorated style tracery.
The south and west windows have scroll moulded dripstones terminating
in heads. Trefoil headed loops to the second stage. Bell chamber
openings of 2 ogee-headed lights with a single reticulation over.
The spire has 2 tiers of lucarnes, it was damaged during a recent gale
and is now truncated. Nave: north wall and remains of south wall mainly
C13, eaves level raised and west wall rebuilt early C14. The north
wall has 2 pointed windows of circa 1300, both with late Geometric
tracery and wave moulded and hollow chamfered jambs; C13 south door,
pointed and double chamfered, the moulded capitals of former nook shafts
survive to each side; gabled mid-C19 stone porch. South aisle and
chapel: early C14, incorporating the C13 remains of the former south
transept. The C14 work was undertaken in 3 distinct phases, comprising
respectively, the 2 western bays, the 3 eastern bays, and the remodelling
of the former transept which is situated between these 2 parts. Each
bay has windows of similar character to those on the north side of
the nave. The 2 westernmost windows have sunk chamfer and quarter-
round and fillet mouldings, the 3 easternmost windows have a wave moulding
and 2 quarter-round and fillet mouldings, whereas the window to the
former transept bay has hollow chamfer and wave mouldings. The windows
have moulded sill strings, the two westernmost share a common string,
as do the 3 easternmost, but at a lower level, the window to the former
transept bay has its own string at a higher level. Narrow buttresses
at the bay divisions, each with one off-set, moulded plinth continued
around the buttresses except for those flanking the former transept
bay. There is a common former parapet string of 2 phases, the part
over the 2 westernmost windows is of a different character. Later
parapet string of consistent character above, dating to the raising
of the eaves level, probably in the C15. Pointed west window
with cusped intersecting tracery, restored in the C19, wave moulded
jambs; pointed east window of 5 lights with intersecting tracery, restored
in the C19; half roll and fillet and wave moulded jambs. Gabled south
porch butts against the wall of the aisle. C14. Pointed and chamfered
doorway, boarded up at time of resurvey; moulded plinth continuing
that of the south aisle, stone slate roof, one rectangular window to
the east with chamfered surround. Chancel: early C13; the east bay
was added circa 1340. Pointed 5-light east window with reticulated
tracery, sunk chamfer and wave-moulded surround; contemporary north
and south windows to the east bay with square heads and ogee headed
lights flowing into short supermullions; central pointed lobe trefoil
and flanking mouchettes. On the north side the second bay from
the east has a C13 lancet and a blocked doorway, the third bay from
the east retains the west jamb of a lancet. The two westernmost bays
have large C15 windows with trefoil headed lights. Three north buttresses,
2 of them pilaster-type, diagonal buttresses to the east end. North
Transept: late C13. Angle buttresses, stair projection to the south-
east corner lit by rectangular loops. Pointed windows to ground floor
north and west of 5 cusped lancet lights, paired and transomed lancets
to first floor with plate traceried quatrefoil in the spandrel. Single-
light trefoil headed window to first floor east. Inserted west door
dated 1911. Interior: C13 fabric noticeable on north wall of nave
and chancel, above the south arcade and in the former south wall of
the south transept, now part of the nave aisle. High segmental pointed
tower arch of circa 1300; 2 continuous quarter round moulded orders
and a third inner order beginning at the springing level of the arch,
this is a squat roll and broad fillet moulding, hood mould with block
stops. Tower vault supported on 8 roll and fillet moulded ribs with
central circle for the bell ropes; the diagonal spring from imposts
carved as heads. The tower windows have sloping sills and continuous
roll and fillet moulded jambs and rere-arches. Early C14 nave arcade;
pointed arches, each with 2 wave moulded orders, hood moulds springing
from carved heads; quatrefoil piers with fillets projecting between
the lobes; heavy moulded bases, the diagonals of the moulded octagonal
capitals are longer than the other sides. C14 nave roof; bracketed
tie beam and arch-braced collar with king post above the collar; tie
beam brackets are supported on wooden corbels; arch braces and struts
from king post to principals are cusped. Elaborately moulded recess
in the south aisle with semi-circular arch; circa 1300. It contains
an early C14 wall painting depicting Christ seated on a throne and
Mary seated and crowned, attendant figure of a knight wearing chain
armour with ailettes, and a lady with caul head dress. Low pitch C15
aisle roof with bracketed tie beams, short stubby king posts and trefoil
headed arcading. Tall, segmental pointed north transept arch of 2
chamfered orders, the outer is continuous, the inner springs from moulded
corbels with carved heads beneath. The ground floor of the north transept
has a quadripartite vault with chamfered ribs. A room on the first
floor was provided with a garderobe. Pointed chancel arch with an
outer chamfered order and 2 inner orders of engaged columns with moulded
bases and capitals. The early C14 arcade between chancel and south
chapel has quatrefoil columns, each lobe comprising a distinct engaged
shaft with fillet and moulded capital on a common moulded base; pointed
arches with moulding including 2 quarter roll and fillets. Piscina
and sedilia of circa 1340. C19 chancel roof with arch braced collars
and cusped V-struts above the collar, 2 pairs of purlins, ridge piece,
and paired cusped wind-braces. Piscina in south chapel with trefoiled
head and quarter round moulding. South chapel roof of similar construction
and date to that of the nave aisle, but the tie beams are moulded and
have curved-bosses. Fittings: plain octagonal stone font with tapering
pedestal, probably C18. C15 oak rood screen with Perpendicular tracery
and a frieze of carved foliage; the doors are in a later style and
LORD 1684". C14 south chapel screens to west and north; the dado has
punched quatrefoils, open arcade above with banded colonettes; two
pairs of doors; C17 continuation in a similar style. Early C14 stalls
and misericords; oak dug-out chest in the south chapel, probably C13.
Monuments: south chapel: Sir John Vernon, died 1545, and wife; alabaster
chest with 2 recumbant figures, Sir John's feet rest on a lion, cusped
arcade to the sides incorporating figures of angels and priests. Chancel:
architectural marble monuments to Sir Charles Pye, died 1721, and to
Sir Richard Pye, died 1724 and Sir Robert Pye, died 1784. Both monuments
made in 1737 by J. M. Rysbrack. Nave: Charles S. Watkins, died 1813,
by Richard Westmacott; tablet depicting a kneeling woman. South aisle:
Rev. John Watkins, died 1833, by William Behnes. B.O.E. pp.104-105.

Listing NGR: SK2529310782

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.