If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Nicholas, Abbots Bromley

Description: Church of St Nicholas

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 12 January 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 273734

OS Grid Reference: SK0793524560
OS Grid Coordinates: 407935, 324560
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8185, -1.8837

Location: Church Street, Abbots Bromley, Staffordshire WS15 3DA

Locality: Abbots Bromley
Local Authority: East Staffordshire Borough Council
County: Staffordshire
Country: England
Postcode: WS15 3DA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Abbots Bromley, Staffordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SK 0624-0724 ABBOTS BROMLEY C.P. CHURCH STREET

16/27 Church of St. Nicholas
12/1/66

GV II*

Parish Church. c1300, clerestorey added c1500, West tower rebuilt
c1700, restored and partly rebuilt by G.E. Street 1852-5. C14 coursed
and squared stone blocks, the rest ashlar; plain tile roofs. West
tower, 3-bay nave, 3-bay chancel, north and south aisles, north and south
chapels, south porch, north-east vestry. West tower: Rebuilt after
collapse of spire (23rd November 1698); 3 stages marked by moulded
strings, rusticated pilaster strips to west corners of first stage
capped by scrolls, rusticated quoins to second and third stages; lower
stage has round headed West door with raised key stone flanked by
panelled pilasters; second stage has blind panel above West door, north
and south sides have a circular window with moulded surround and blind
panel over; third stage has window to each side of 2 round headed lights
and moulded architrave and sill, west side has circular window below and
a clock between the two; balustraded parapet with panelled pedestals at
the corners capped by urn finials spouting flame. Nave: Clerestory of
c1500 with pointed windows of 3 trefoiled lights. North aisle: c1300;
central pointed door with half-roll and fillet moulded surround, and roll
and fillet hood mould terminating in heads; 3-light window to east with
intersecting tracery and roll and fillet hood mould terminating on the
east side in a head, 3-light pointed window to west, all lights with
trefoiled heads, the central one pointed, the outer ones rounded,
crenellated parapet; C18 West window to aisle with round head, moulded
architrave and raised key. South aisle: C19 remodelling; windows
have cusped intersecting tracery and hood moulds terminating in foliage.
Gabled South porch C19, timber framed on ashlar plinth with cusped
open arch, to pointed south door of 2 orders: nook shafts and roll and
fillet moulded arch, hood mould terminating in foliage. North chapel
(Hurst Chapel) C19; windows have Decorated style tracery. South Chapel
(Lady Chapel) C19; triple lancet windows to south side, east window has
5 lancets under a hood mould terminating in leaf decoration. Chancel
window of 7 trefoil headed lights and circle above filled with
geometrical figures. Interior: Nave arcades c1300, octagonal piers
with moulded capitals and chamfered pointed arches; C19 wooden
chancel arch springing from stone corbels carved with naturistic
foliage round headed door to West tower; nearly flat C19 timber nave
roof with moulded tie beams supporting a ridge piece and one pair of
purlins; C19 chancel and aisle roofs with arch braced collars cusped in
sanctuary; chancel with alabaster screen wall and moulded alabaster caps
to piers has sedilia and piscina to south and aumbry to north. Fittings:
stone font c1700, circular moulded base, cylindrical pedestal and gadrooned
bowl in form of an urn; C19 carved choir stalls by Street; C19 wooden
altar rail on twisted wrought iron standards with scrolled brackets and
leaf decoration; C19 stone table on marble columns. 2 brass chandeliers
of c1820 and 5 brass lamps. Monuments: Brass memorial to John Draycote,
burgess of Abbots Bromley d.1463; Warburton family memorial, C17, marble,
bracketed aedicule, winged skull to centre of base flanked by cherubs,
panelled pilasters decorated with cross bones and hour-glasses, fishscale
pilaster caps with torches on top, cherubs and coat of arms above; memorial
to John and Edward Vernon died 1756 and 1780, shaped marble plaque with
moulded cornice, surmounted by an obelisk, containing a coat of arms.
Stained glass: Good East window by Burtison and Grylls. Miscellanea:
Reindeer horns, hobby horse, and crossbow used in the Abbots Bromley horn
dance.


Listing NGR: SK0793524560

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.