British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Blithfield Hall, Blithfield

Description: Blithfield Hall

Grade: I
Date Listed: 10 January 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 273790

OS Grid Reference: SK0449823934
OS Grid Coordinates: 404498, 323934
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8129, -1.9347

Location: Blithfield, Staffordshire WS15 3NL

Locality: Blithfield
Local Authority: East Staffordshire Borough Council
County: Staffordshire
Country: England
Postcode: WS15 3NL

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Blithfield, Staffordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


13/83 Blithfield Hall


Country house. Late medieval in origin, now largely C16 with additions
of c1740 probably by Richard Trubshaw, and of the later C18 perhaps by
Charles Cope Trubshaw, remodelled 1820-4 probably by John Buckler in a
Tudor Gothic style. Brick, plastered and lined as ashlar to earlier
timber frame; slate roofs; plastered brick stacks. 4 ranges surround-
ing a rectangular courtyard, extensions to north-east and east, main
entrance in centre of south range. North range and north-east block:
North range consists of 2 parallel ranges, the southern part medieval in
origin containing--Great Hall to west, screens passage and services to east
with former solar, now dining room above, original kitchen, latterly a
servant's hall, now a workshop, lay behond the services; northern part
of c.1740, north-east block projects north from east end of north range,
2 storeys and attic with first floor band and plain parapet; 4:11:3 bays,
glazing bar sashes and casements with segmental heads, including attic
dormers; projeting gable end of north-east block to left with chamfered
quoins, 2 parallel ranges with linking parapet, the left hand range has
windows with straight heads; projecting gabled end of West range to right
with diagonal buttresses, central false 4-centred doorway arch with hood
mould and tall 3-light Gothic window above, the upper part lighting the
attic, the rest blind; double porch towards left hand end of central
range with 4-centred arches leading to doorway. West range: In 2 parts,
C16 range to left, addition of 1769 to right. C16 range: 2 left hand
bays of 2 storeys and attic, the rest of 2 storeys; 6 bays spanned by 5
irregular gables with bracketed barge boards; glazing bar sashes with
returned hood moulds, 2 storey canted bay to right with moulded parapet
and central glazed door, single storey canted bays to left of centre with
Tudor arch openings. 1769 addition: 2 storeys with first floor band
and low pitch roof, 2 bays, glazing bar sashes, octagonal crenellated turret
to right hand angle. South range: C16 with addition of 1769 to west end,
cloister with gallery over, added to north side in 1820-4. 2 storeys
with crenellated parapet; 1:3:1:2 bays, projecting gable end of West range
to left with octagonal angle turrets, 3-storey gatehouse to right of
centre with diagonal buttresses surmounted by finials, and 4-centred gate
arch with returned hood mould, the other bays are separated by projecting
chimney stacks with star shaped shafts; mullioned windows of 4-Tudor arch
lights under a square head with returned hood mould, left hand bay has ground
floor window with 3 cinquefoil headed lights under a square head, panelled
spandrels and a returned hood mould, first floor oriel window of 4 lights
on fan brackets with angels holding shields. 2 storey set-back kitchen
wing to right; 6-light mullioned windows to first floor with returned hood
moulds. East elevation: 3 storeys with crenellated parapet; 6 bays of
east range flanked by north-east block on the right and low kitchen wing
on the left, glazing bar sashes and casements with returned hood moulds;
partly colonaded single storey lean-to in front of east range and north-
east block, extending approximately10yar$qeast of the latter. Interior:
South range: Porch and entrance hall: Porch has lierne vault and niches
in the side walls and leads to an entrance hall with flat panelled ceiling.


Blithfield Hall

Cloister: On north side of range; rib vaulting springs from colonettes,
blind panelling between each window bay, windows of 3 cinquefoil headed
lights beneath a 4-centred arch. North range: Great Hall has decor
of 1822, elaborate lierne vault with pendants, tall canopied niches,
tall chimney piece framing late C16 panelling, 3 tall 2-light transomed
windows to south, the plasterwork is by Francis Bernasconi. Great
staircase was re-set from lower end of hall, c.1660, oak, elaborately
carved openwork balustrades and newel finials. The Dining Room
(Formerly The Library). Probably the solar or great chamber origin-
ally; wide barrel ceiling; Elizabethan or Jacobean panelling rearranged
and coloured green and gold, large fireplace with cambered head probably
c.1820. The Study: c.1740 with plastered panelling. Blithfield Hall
had been the home of the Bagot family since the late C14. B.O.E.
p.p. 72-3. Country Life: Vol. CXVI. p.p. 1488, 1576, 1664.

Listing NGR: SK0449323957

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.