If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 22 February 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 277404
OS Grid Reference: TM1202641531
OS Grid Coordinates: 612026, 241531
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0316, 1.0895
Explore more of the area around Copdock and Washbrook, Suffolk at Explore Britain.
TM 14 SW COPDOCK POUND LANE
Church of St Peter
Parish church. C14 and C15, restored 1901, and 1909 by Burgess and Brown.
Flint, brick, stone dressings, flint flushwork, slate and leaded roofs. West
tower, nave, north transept, south porch, chancel, north chapel and vestry. 3
stage embattled tower. C14. Diagonal buttresses, stair turret in south east
angle. Plinth with flushwork panels continuing on buttresses and stair turret.
Stages marked by continuous bands. West doorway, 2 orders of ogee and sunk
chamfer, the inner order with band of shields and other emblems. Moulded hood
beneath square label with restored encircled quatrefoils in the spandrels; worn
angel stop to right, none to left. Pair of doors, 1901. Band of flushwork
panels above. West window, 3-lights, restored panel tracery with decorative ogee
hood rising to crocketted crest. Gault brick surround. Angels with shields as
stops. Single foiled ringing chamber opening with square hood, similar opening
on south face. 2-light cusped bell opening with foiled vesica on all faces.
Gault brick embattling. Stair turret: 2 encircled quatrefoil openings, in one
the quatrefoil set diagonally. Nave. C15. 3 straight stepped buttresses to
north and south, the easternmost to south covering rood stairs. South: 3 3-light
panel traceried windows with supermullions beneath stilted arches. First 2 bays
have flint flushwork panels to the plinth, the remaining with brick replacement.
Porch. Flint and brick. Plinth largely flint flushwork panels, some replacement
brick. Diagonal buttresses. Crowstepped brick gable parapet with stumpy brick
finials to apex and angles. Plaintile roof. Righthand return, brick up to cill
and above window. Left hand return flint flushwork. Left and right 2-light
cusped windows with almost triangular heads, moulded brick hood to left, stone
hood to right. Outer arch: engaged shafts with worn bases and worn moulded
capitals with quatrefoils and flowers on the abaci. Outer and inner orders with
sunk chamfer with band of shields and crowns and Tudor flowers. Restored hood
with square label and shields in the spandrels. Above, sundial inscribed
GR1910-35 The Greater Light to Rule The Day. Porch roof ceiled. Stoup to
right. South doorway. 2 continuous orders, the inner with floral motif part
restored. Moulded hood. Late C15 door of moulded planks and muntins, original
door furniture. Chancel, much restored. No plinth, diagonal buttresses to
east. Straight buttresses between windows. 2 3-light panel traceried windows
either side of priest's door, with jambs and head of 2 moulded orders. East wall
much restored, with 4-light window with panel tracery, the main lights with
triangular cusped heads. North elevation: Nave. 2 restored windows similar to
south. North doorway: 2 continuous orders as south, with inner band of flowers,
moulded hood. Door c1500 has blind traceried upper panels. Transept. Stepped
diagonal buttresses. North window as nave, with grotesque stops. Blocked
opening in west wall. Chancel. Single window as south. Chapel. 2-light window
with curvilinear tracery, scroll moulded hood with worn foliate stops. Panel
traceried window on east wall. Vestry c1909, with 2 2-light windows beneath
square labels. Interior. Tower arch: restored, 2 chamfered orders to arch,
flat responds with chamfered arrises. 7 bay arch-braced nave roof restored
1901. Restored chancel arch, the lower part replaced by c1900 C13 style corbels,
the upper part original. Deep cut wave moulding to each side of polygonal shaft
with moulded capital, the wave moulding forming continuous order, the inner
chamfered order rising from the capitals. Arched braced chancel roof, all
c1900. Piscina with simple arched head, with chamfer and ogee mouldings. Long
narrow squint, restored. Transept chapel c1500. Transept arch a continuous
hollow chamfer with band of shields. 2 bay shallow pitched roof with moulded
principals, and bosses in form of Tudor roses or leaves. Hollow, rose moulded
and embattled cornice. Octagonal font with floral and foliate emblems
alternating with angels on the panels. Angels with interlocking wings on
underside. Stem, possibly replaced, recessed cusped panels between shafts.
Octagonal base. Small traceried canopy, mostly of softwood. C19 or C20
poppyhead benches. West gallery 1901. 5 panels the middle three said to be C18
depicting lady with harp, arms of Foster family of Copdock Hall, Edward VI on
horsebank. Chancel shields painted 1959. Arms of George III.
Listing NGR: TM1202641531
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.