If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Clopton Hall
Date Listed: 16 March 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 286433
OS Grid Reference: TM2177652704
OS Grid Coordinates: 621776, 252704
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1281, 1.2387
Explore more of the area around Clopton, Suffolk at Explore Britain.
CLOPTON GRUNDISBURGH ROAD
TM 25 SW
8/19 Clopton Hall
Manor house. C16 and C17 with late C18/early C19 refacing to part. Timber
framed with colourwashed render and Flemish bond brick facing to part and
plaintile roof. Two storeys with attic. Entrance front: recessed central
portion with projecting hipped wings to either side. Central portion
refaced in brick and now near-central doorway with 6-panel door, moulded
doorcase having central winged cherub's head to the frieze and a pediment
above. To right of this is a Venetian window with C20 metal-framed
fenestration. To left is a 3-light casement with a cambered head and to
the first floor are two 3-light metal-framed C20 casements and at far right
a single-light casement. The right hand projecting C16 wing has a canted
ground floor oriel with much renewed timber having moulded mullions with
angle beads and a transom, of 5 lights supported on brackets with moulded
sill and lipped roof. To the fist floor a 5-light casement with diamond-
section mullions. To the attic is a 2-light gabled dormer. Exposed
timbers encompassing large panels of pargetted plaster to both floors on
this wing. The left hand flank of this wing has a 4-light ground floor
window. Left hand wing: deep brick plinth, ground floor 3-light C20 metal-
framed casement and a similar first floor window and a 2-light gabled
dormer. Right hand side: to the ground floor is a continuous window to the
top of the wall divided into 4 bays by wall posts, each having 6 lights
with diamond-section mullions. To the 2nd bay from left are 6 further
lower lights, divided from the top lights by a decorated transom. There
appears to have been a similar arrangement to the first floor which is now
partially blocked. Similar, low, 6-light window with decorated transom to
the second bay from left and a 3-light top window to the bay at far right.
Left hand side: brick window to the ground floor with cross window at right
of centre and a 3-light C20 casement at left. One 2-light C19 casement at
left and a 3-light C17 window with ovolo-moulded mullions and transom at
right and arched single-light window between these. Rear: outshut to the
centre of the rear with a catslide roof. The wing at left of this is
recessed and has a 2-light C20 casement within an earlier surround to the
ground floor and a 2-light metal-framed casement to the first floor at
right within earlier surround. Three-light window with diamond-section
mullions above this. To the gable which has the date 1947 referring to the
refacing to a pargetted panel is a 2-light window. To the centre of the
outshut is a 2-storey projecting gabled wing which bears the date 1958.
Gabled dormer window to right of this bearing the date 1929. The recessed
gable wing at far right has exposed wall posts and a heavily cambered tie
Interior: Dining-room: chimneybreast with Jacobean overmantel having 3
arched panels divided and flanked by trios of colonnettes, standing on
miniature plinths with diamond rustication and with bands to their lower
bodies. Dentilled cornice above with domed ovals to the frieze and
strapwork panels at either side. Chamfered C17 beams to the ceiling with
decorative end stops. C18 pine panelling to this room. The drawing room
in the C16 wing which was formerly divided into 2 rooms has C17 panelling,
perhaps brought from elsewhere with moulded muntins and crossrails.
Overmantel dated 1617 having 2 arched panels with marquetry inlay and
incised scroll decorations, several C20 panels.
Listing NGR: TM2177652704
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.