Description: 6 and 8, East Avenue
Date Listed: 16 November 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 286715
OS Grid Reference: TQ0956662424
OS Grid Coordinates: 509566, 162424
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3503, -0.4281
TQ 0962 BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE EAST AVENUE
10/138 Nos 6 and 8
Almshouse pair. Circa 1912 by Ernest Newton. Red brick on brick plinth with moulded
wooden eaves cornice to hipped plain tiled roof. Tall central, panelled ridge stack.
2 central casement windows, flat headed entrances in outer bays. Central diamond
diaper in black brick.
Whiteley Village was provided by William Whiteley of Whiteley's stores for thrifty
old folk and was laid out on an octagonal plan by Frank Atkinson, employing leading
architects of the day.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp520-1.
Listing NGR: TQ0956662424
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.