Description: 56-64, Octagon Road
Date Listed: 16 November 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 286860
OS Grid Reference: TQ0951662341
OS Grid Coordinates: 509516, 162341
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3496, -0.4288
TQ 0962 BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE OCTAGON ROAD
10/291 Nos. 56 to 64. (even)
Almshouse row, Circa 1912 by Sir Ernest George. Red brick with plain tiled roofs
and two return gables painted towards the left end. These and end gables decorated
with double curves. 3 panelled ridge stacks, one at right end. Single storey. 15
bays with windows in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th , 8th, 11th, 14th and 15th bays. Single
entrance arch to left end, pointed entrance arches in 6th and 7th bays and 12th
and 13th bays. Glazing bar sash windows and boarded doors throughout, brick pilaster
mouldings to entrance arches.
Whiteley Village was provided by William Whiteley of Whiteley's stores for thrifty
old folk and was laid out on an octagonal plan by Frank Atkinson, employing leading
architects of the day.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp520-1.
Listing NGR: TQ0951662341
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.