Description: 74 and 76, Octagon Road
Date Listed: 16 November 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 286863
OS Grid Reference: TQ0944962317
OS Grid Coordinates: 509449, 162317
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3494, -0.4298
TQ 0962 BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE OCTAGON ROAD
10/294 Nos. 74 and 76
Almshouse pair. Circa 1912 by Sir Mervyn Macartney. Red brick with wide central
projection and coved cornice to plain tiled, swept, hipped roofs which is recessed
over wings. Central off ridge stack to front. Single storey , 4 bays, those to
centre with casements. Outer two with round-headed entrance arches masking
casement windows and board doors.
Whiteley Village was provided by William Whiteley of Whiteley's stores for thrifty
old folk and was laid out on an octagonal plan by Frank Atkinson, employing leading
architects of the day.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp520-1.
Listing NGR: TQ0944962317
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.