Church of St John, Caterham Valley
Description: Church of St John
Date Listed: 19 November 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 287672
OS Grid Reference: TQ3426455310
OS Grid Coordinates: 534264, 155310
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2811, -0.0763
Location: 1 Clareville Road, Whyteleafe, Surrey CR3 5UE
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
TQ 35NW CATERHAM & WARLINGHAM CLAREVILLE ROAD,
FORMER URBAN DISTRICT CATERHAM
2/17 Church of St. John
Church. 1881 by W. Bassett Smith. North Aisle/Chapels by Sir T.G. Jackson.
Bargate stone; plain tiled roofs with ridgecresting. Nave and aisles, north
porch, 3 stage tower to west and chancel to east. Tower with offset buttresses
and stair turret rising through 2 stages on north east corner. Doubled louvred
openings under arched hood moulds to top stage of each face with angle gargoyles
quatrofoil parapet, and corner crocketed finials above. East window with
curvilinear stone tracery, standard decorated tracery for the remainder. Panelled
north and west doors.
Interior: large, tiled floors with 5 bay nave arcades on compound piers of 4
columns. Marble floored altar. Stained glass 1893 by Heaton Butter and Bayne
in north aisle.
Fittings: C13 font from Church of St. Laurence, Caterham; circular with central
stem and four attached shafts. Circular stone pulpit. Stone mosaic reredos with
Listing NGR: TQ3426455310
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.