British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Nicholas, Guildford

Description: Church of St Nicholas

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 1 May 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 288950

OS Grid Reference: SU9941549346
OS Grid Coordinates: 499415, 149346
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2346, -0.5774

Location: Bury Street, Guildford, Surrey GU1 3HP

Locality: Guildford
Local Authority: Guildford Borough Council
County: Surrey
Country: England
Postcode: GU1 3HP

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

(South Side)

7/86 Church of
1/5/53 St. Nicholas


Church. Loseley chapel C15, the remainder built in 1870-75 (consecrated April
1876) to the designs of S. S. Teulon, but executed by Ewan Christian. Tower
Lantern designed by Stanley Gage Livock and added in 1951. Flint rubble walls
on the Loseley Chapel, coursed. Bargate blocks on the remainder with aluminium
roofs; ribbed copper roof over teak lantern. Almost cruciform plan with square
crossing tower, apsidal chancel and aisled nave with clearstorey,and Loseley
Chapel forming South transept arm. North porch across angle with the west front
and further porch to south. Three stage tower with ringing chamber over the
crossing vault and the bellchamber above that. Quoined angles and gabled offset
pier-buttresses to lower stages. Octagonal stair turret to the south-east angle
under octagonal lantern with stone parapet and lancet fenestration. Corbel table
on upper stage of tower with two arched tall windows in ashlar surrounds on each
face, the openings filled with scalloped-ended louvres. Canted apse to east of
tower over crypt with offset buttresses and two-light and roundel plate-tracery
windows on linking sill course and under hood moulds. Small lancet type windows
in crypt below. On north wall of apse is a rainwater head dated 1849, from the
period when Henry Woodyer worked on the previous church. North transept gable
end has large plate-tracery, 3-light and roundel window on sill string course and
under hood moulding. One transomed leaded window below with pointed-arched door
to side. Pentice aisle to north with 4 triple lancet windows alternating with
buttresses; paired roundel windows in clearstorey above. North porch follows
line of corner of site with double doors in 3-step, roll moulded surround under
hood mould and flanked by jamb shafts. Flight of five steps in front with swept
railings on twisted spiral standards. West Front:- Gabled buttresses flanking
very large window with two plate-tracery two-light and roundel windows below and
5-lobed roundel above under common hood moulding. Flat-roofed vestry in south
west angle with paired lancet fenestration. South Aisle:- designed by
Ewan Christian. Triple gables at right angles to nave with 3-light and
roundel window to each under hood mould and with alternating buttresses. Larger
gable to west with south door below in two step, roll-moulded surround and with
roundel window above. C20 flint rubble and stone church hall attached to Loseley
Chapel at south east by a glass corridor not of special interest.
Interior:- South aisle with narthex in western bay separated from the remainder
of the church by screens with wooden corbelled wall plates and arched panelled
roof. Five bay nave arcades on round piers with moulded caps. Bath stone
surrounds to clearstorey windows with each embrasure divided by a detached
column. Tall chancel arch on jamb-shafts, rib-vaulted crossing and chancel
apse. Crossing sanctuary has arcaded sides with double pillars repeated in the
supports for the corbels of the arch leading to the apse. Marble floor and
mosaics in apse.
Fittings:- Coloured and gilded piscina and two-seated sedilia in apse with symbols
of the Eucharist decorating. Wrought iron screen designed by Woodyer and made at
Millmead in Guildford, fills three of the sanctuary side arches. Low marble walls
separate the nave from the sanctuary with hanging rood above designed by
Charles Nicholson. Marble and alabaster font by Thomas Earp with pillared base
and carved panel reliefs on sides depicting sermons.
Magnificent font in west end of nave under tall canopy carved by Earp and designed
by Woodyer. Large bowl on central pillar flanked by smaller pillars at angles on
moulded plinths and with foliated caps. Each side of the font is carved in deep
relief with baptism and Old Testament scenes; at the corners are figures emptying
jars. Five stage towering canopy above, the main structure square with cusped
arches on pillars of 4 coupled shafts, at the corners are statues of four
evangelists. Crocketed gables above surmounted with carved pelicans and painted
on sides. Quatrefoil recesses in spandrels with angles, and from the centre of
this stage rises an octagonal base and lantern above with pinnacled flying
buttresses. Smaller lantern above and crocketed spirit crowning. The central
wooden drum cover is drawn up by means of a pulley and chain into the canopy and
is carved with the twelve apostles. The West Wall is painted and gilded with
angels and scenes of baptism and communion and also the crucifixion. Completed
in 1900 by Joseph Aloitius Pippett. Stained glass by Clayton and Bell.
Memorials:- Loseley Chapel:- South wall: Tomb to Arnold Brocas. Altar tomb with
effigy of priest in painted red cope. 5-bay front with quatrefoil panelling, each
enclosing a shield. Recess over the tomb has panelled sides and vaulted soffit of
3 bays divided by cinquefoil cusped arches. Angel and portrait corbels to rear.
East wall: Alabaster tomb of Sir William More and his wife Dame Margaret with
effigies flanked by pilasters and marble panels. Brackets on sides with seated
cherubs, dark coloured Corinthian columns either side of centre with cornice and
shields above. Wings added to either side for further members of the family -
Sir George More and his wife of kneeler type.

V.C.H.: (1967 Edn) Vol. III pp.568-9.

Listing NGR: SU9942049348

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.