Description: The Castle Gateway and Walls Adjoining to the East and South
Date Listed: 1 May 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 289058
OS Grid Reference: SU9969649237
OS Grid Coordinates: 499696, 149237
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2336, -0.5734
GUILDFORD QUARRY STREET
SU 99 49SE
8/193 The Castle Gateway
1/5/53 and Walls adjoining
to the east and south.
(Formerly listed as
Castle Arch and Walls
adjoining on the south
and the Guildford
Museum and wall
adjoining on the
Castle gateway and walls. Probably rebuilt in the mid C13 by John of Gloucester
following a fire at the Castle. Chalk and flint rubble with ashlar dressings to
arch and window in flanking wall, tile and stone coping above. Pointed arched
gateway with chamfered jambs and slots for portcullis on the inner face. Remains
of flanking tower to right (south) extends for approx 2 metres at the same height
as the gateway and in the return wall of the tower to the rear (east) is a blocked,
ashlar-dressed window with impost blocks. The rear (east) wall extends up Castle
Hill for approx 1O metres. The other flanking gate tower to the North has been
incorporated into Castle Arch (qv). The gateway is part of a scheduled Ancient
Monument, Surrey Monument No. 1.
Photographs in N.M.R.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.275.
M. ALEXANDER: GUILDFORD CASTLE GUIDE (1985).
V.C.H. (1967 Ed.) VOL. III pp.
Listing NGR: SU9969649237
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.