Description: Church of Jesus Christ and the Wisdom of God
Date Listed: 29 September 1983
English Heritage Building ID: 289483
OS Grid Reference: TQ2486353750
OS Grid Coordinates: 524863, 153750
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2692, -0.2115
TQ 25SSW BUCKLAND ROAD
6/66 Lower Kingswood,
Church of Jesus Christ
and the Wisdom of God
Church, formerly in St Sophia. 1891 by Sidney Barnsley in the free Byzantine style. Red
brick and stone in various patterns eg chequer work, herringbone and basketweave;
plain tile roof. Aisled nave and chancel in one; east end with polygonal apses, the
outer ones as angled bay windows. West front; large planked and studded door with
scalloped metal framing under round arch with inscription. Stone dressed diocletion
window above narthex under pent roof; round headed lancets on other facades and in
apses of the east end.
Interior: Tiled floor, marble center aisle; 2 bay nave arcade with end piers and
central column; painted barrel vault roof. Marble floored chancel and semi-circular
apse; marble lining with green and gold floral mosaic in apse and semi-dome.
Fittings include Arts and Crafts lectern, pulpit and reading desk, all in ebony and
holly with mother of pearl inlay. 2 priests' chairs with domed canopies, byzantine
capitals from Constantinople and Ephesus decorate the ailes and west wall.
Campanile: 5 yard to the ritual north west of the church. Square rendered plinth
with inset flight of steps; weatherboarded above, to open timber bellchamber and lead
covered ribbed byzantine dome. Lead gargolye animal spouts to angles of the
bellchamber. The campanile and Church are linked by herringbone brick path with
stone edging and flint insets; forming a circle in front of the west door.
Listing NGR: TQ2486253752
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.