Woking Crematorium Chapel, Woking
Description: Woking Crematorium Chapel
Date Listed: 6 January 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 290755
OS Grid Reference: SU9749057900
OS Grid Coordinates: 497490, 157900
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3119, -0.6026
Location: Hermitage Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 1TJ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SU 95NE BOROUGH OF WOKING HERMITAGE ROAD
5/54 Woking Crematorium
Chapel 1888. Red brick with stone dressings, plain tiled roof; stone coped
gables and cross to west end. Rectangular 4 bay nave, pent roofed porch to
the north with C20 glazed extension. Two light arched windows, with quatrofoil
roundels in west end. C20 North door in chamfered and moulded surround;
further door to the west end .
Interior: Nave with marble floor, gallery to west end. 2 stained glass
windows in north wall depict the first 2 presidents of the Association of
Cremataria by R.H, Courbald 1928. Catafalque: marble 1903.
This is the first Crematorium Chapel in the country (A. Crosby: History
of Woking (1982) pp 107-8).
Listing NGR: SU9748457892
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.