Crematory and Columbarium of Woking Crematorium, Woking
Description: Crematory and Columbarium of Woking Crematorium
Date Listed: 6 January 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 290756
OS Grid Reference: SU9748457882
OS Grid Coordinates: 497484, 157882
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3117, -0.6027
Location: Hermitage Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 1TJ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SU 95NE BOROUGH OF WOKING HERMITAGE ROAD
5/55 Crematory and Columbarium
of Woking Crematorium
Columbarium and crematory 1879. Red brick, stone dressings; plain tiled roofs.
Rectangular plan, extending from the south side of the Chapel. 2 storeys, 4
bays long with alternating lancet windows and buttresses. Double board doors
to right of centre, former entrance in left hand return front is now a shrine
Interior: Columbarium containing ashes and urns in partition walls, barrel
vaulted. Both the Columbarium and the Crematory are the first of their type
in the country, the first legal cremation in Great Britain being 26 March 1885
(A Crosby : History of Woking (1982) pp. 107-8)
Listing NGR: SU9748457892
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.