If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Harvey's Brewery, Lewes

Description: Harvey's Brewery

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 29 October 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 293022

OS Grid Reference: TQ4197810289
OS Grid Coordinates: 541978, 110289
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8747, 0.0166

Location: 4 North Court, Lewes, East Sussex BN7 2AH

Locality: Lewes
Local Authority: Lewes District Council
County: East Sussex
Country: England
Postcode: BN7 2AH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Lewes, East Sussex at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

In the entry for

TQ 4110 SE LEWES CLIFFE HIGH STREET
(north side)

Cliffe
10/43
Harvey's Brewery

The description shall be amended to read by adding as last sentence - "NB: Two-
storey extension recently erected on to west face of hoist house".

------------------------------------

TQ 4110 SE LEWES CLIFFE HIGH STREET
10/43 (north side)
Cliffe

Harvey's Brewery

GV II*

Brewery. Early C19, almost completely remodelled by William Bradford circa
1881, with semi-continuous alterations of a minor nature since, particularly
internal. Red brick with orange dressings, toothed impost bands on
ground floor and between ground and first floors and moulded cornice-type
impost-band on first floor. Moulded brick cornices to plain tiled roofs.
Main block to left of centre with four-storey tower on righthand part.
Cornice above third stage to louvred wooden fourth stage with board
reading HARVEYS to west. Slightly arched heads to individual louvres,
4 X 5, with steep hipped roof with bellcast, very short ridge and double
conjoined finial with weather-vane to west. Weather-vane marked 1626
T
SE
found during excavations for foundations in 1881. Three storeys to left
with parapet-gabled third stage, added and recessed. Irregular fenestration
of two windows on third floor, 2 on second floor and 2 on ground floor,
symmetrically disposed about a wide arched entrance with double doors and
arched light. All windows segment-headed, except those on ground floor,
and with large iron casements with glazing bars and nodal bosses. Single
sash in third floor addition to left. Two-storey block to left with
segmental arch on ground floor. Doubled half-glazed doors in centre with
half-glazed outer panels. Glazed top-lights with large inset fanlight over
doors. Cantilevered wide octagonal bay above with tile-hanging below
timber-framing with brick infill. Plain casements on canted sides and on
centre of front face with deep glazed and leaded top lights of stained and
bottle bottom glass. Window on cant to right with louvred shutter.
Panelled wooden cornice with small glazed lights inset to hipped roof.
Block continues to right, obscured by later additions on ground floor but
with the original windows with iron glazing and nodal bosses above.
Additions to left and behind as well as projecting towards the west. Tall
octagonal brick tapering chimney in angle; the top third has been rebuilt
with an oversailing cornice. 11 iron straps surround the chimney which
sits on a stone bolection-moulded plinth. Hoist-house on right corner of main
tower, timber-framed and panelled below with shouldered arched glazing above.
Bracketted cornice with panelling and glazed roundels. 2-storey 5 bay wing
to right with 4 small iron glazed and nodal bossed windows on first floor
and door in second bay from right. Single storey extensions on ground
floor of no special interest, extending as a canopy underneath the hoist-
house. Interior: Board Room. Mid-C19 Italianate fireplace. Malt
store. Malt mill in place. Tower hoist. Mash tun room. Mash tun in
place. Steam engine survives though no longer used commercially;
Pontifex and Wood, Shoe Lane, London. Single cylinder horizontal engine.
The designs by William Bradford for the Brewery were published in the
Brewer's Journal, 15:xi:1881, including a perspective.



Listing NGR: TQ4197810289

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |