Central Building of Wootton Manor, Long Man
Description: Central Building of Wootton Manor
Date Listed: 13 October 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 295122
OS Grid Reference: TQ5654305193
OS Grid Coordinates: 556543, 105193
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8251, 0.2213
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Explore more of the area around Long Man, East Sussex at Explore Britain.
FOLKINGTON WOOTTON LANE
TQ 50 NE 18/204 Central building of Wooton
Manor (formerly listed as
the address shall be amended to read
FOLKINGTON WOOTTON LANE
TQ 50 NE Central Building of Wootton
The Grade shall be
amended to read II*(star)
The description should be amended to read
Country house. Mid C17 farmhouse on site of mediaeval manor house (C14 masonry
in north west wing) greatly enlarged by Detmar Blow for R. P. Gwynne, M.P. in
the same mid C17 style. Red brick in English bond, plain tile hipped and gabled
roofs, hipped dormers, brick stacks. Flint plinth on west side and flint walls
with ashlar details (arched doorway and cinquefoil headed window) to north
C17 rectangular block with Blow's extensions to north and south.
To the south west a large wing with hipped roof by Blow linked to the corner
of the south extension. The north west wing, converted from a barn by Blow,
probably incorporating remains of mediaeval chapel, is linked to the smaller
north extension. Wings flank a raised terrace on the west side of the central
block, since 1915 the main entrance front, approached through a forecourt
formerly the farmyard. Elevation of three storeys and attics on west side but
the lowest storey a basement on the east side, with east side doorway, formerly
the principal entrance, at higher level. Brick platt bands at floor levels
link with bold rusticated brick quoining, all exactly copied by Blow on
extensions and south west wing. C17 east front has a pair of large
contiguous cross gables. C20 gabled single storey porch off centre to
right flanked to either side by a sash with narrow sash sidelights. On
first floor above each, a similar sashed window and a sash without side
lights above porch. A small sash in each gable. To left, the south
west wing has two large stacks with tall panelled shafts alternating
with sashes with side lights on both floors of east side. A similar
window has an arched head to the central sash breaking through the eaves
in the centre of the south end wall. C17 front on east side has four sashes
on both upper floors. Single storey entrance porch with hipped roof projects
onto terrace off centre to left, flanked to either side by a three light
casement. Single light sashes in linking extensions to north and south.
All windows have rubbed brick flat arch heads with projections at centre
and at ends of each arch. All windows have glazing bars.
Interior: In C17 block exposed bridging beams, C18 fireplace in Dining
Room. The north extension contains an early C18 open well staircase
with twisted balusters and carved bracket to each tread end brought from
a house in Battersea which belonged to Gwynne family. Upper floor of south
west wing contains the Library by Blow fully fitted with book-cases; marble
fireplace in C18 French Baroque style.
Country Life, April 7 1955
The list was amended in respect of this entry on 26 January 1982
FOLKINTON WOOTTON LANE
(formerly listed as
TQ 50 NE 18/204 Wootton Manor)
Of the original C13 manor house, fragments of the chapel (a window and a
statue) have been built into an outbuilding. The east wing has a C17 exterior
with some C16 work inside. Red brick. Long and short brick quoins. Stringcourse
above each floor. Two gables. Sash windows with glazing bars intact.
Three storeys and attic. Three windows facing east, 4 windows and 2 hipped
dormers facing west. Modern porch to each front. A matching L-wing was
added to the south in 1915.
Listing NGR: TQ5654305193
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.