If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.



The Parish Church of St Andrew and St Mary, Fletching

Description: The Parish Church of St Andrew and St Mary

Grade: I
Date Listed: 31 December 1982
English Heritage Building ID: 295968

OS Grid Reference: TQ4290423460
OS Grid Coordinates: 542904, 123460
Latitude/Longitude: 50.9928, 0.0349

Location: Cherry Cottages, Fletching, East Sussex TN22 3SP

Locality: Fletching
Local Authority: Wealden District Council
County: East Sussex
Country: England
Postcode: TN22 3SP

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Fletching, East Sussex at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

In the entry for;

TQ 4223 FLETCHING CHURCH STREET
(north side)

41/736 The Parish Church of
St Andrew and St Mary

II

the entry shall be amended to read;

TQ 4223 FLETCHING CHURCH STREET
(north side)

41/736 The Parish Church of
St Andrew and St Mary

GV I

Parish church. Norman tower, remainder C13, restored,
particularly the chancel,by J Oldrid Scott in 1880, who also
added a vestry. Built of sandstone rubble with roof of Horsham
slabs, chancel tiled and broached, shingled spire. 4 bay nave,
north and south transepts with Sheffield Mausoleum at the
north end of the north transept, south porch, west tower,
chancel and vestry. West tower of 3 stages with top or bell
stage with paired round-headed arches with colonnettes, centre
stage with lancets with leaded lights and arched doorcase with
hoodmoulding. Large diagonal buttresses. Nave has clerestorey
with trefoil arched windows, aisles have restored triple
trefoliated windows. Gabled south porch with arched doorcase
with hood moulding and blank spandrels. Roof has queenposts
and cusped braces. Stoup. South transept has 2 lancets to east
and paired lancet with cinquefoil above to south. Chancel
rebuilt by J Oldrid Scott of snecked rubble with 6 lancets and
triple traceried window with 3 roundels to east. Vestry
projects from chancel with 2 lancets to each face. North
transept has 2 lancets and pointed arched west doorway but
north face obscured by Sheffield Mausoleum of late C18 date in
tooled sandstone with tiled roof. North end has cinquefoil
roundel and arched doorway, lancets to side. North aisle has
similar windows to south aisle but central pointed arched
doorcases.
Interior has Norman arch with zig-zag moulding and
timber framed bell cage possibly of c1340 as the spire was
added then.Nave has early C13 4 bay arcade with round piers
and arches with two slight chamfers.Roof has 5 crown posts.
Achievements of the Neville Family of early C18 and C17
octagonal wooden pulpit with strapwork decoration.South
transept has alabaster effigy of Richard Leche d1596. Brass to
Sir Edward or Walter Dalyngrigge and wife c1386 on stone
plinth with cinquefoil niches, surmounted by stone unicorn and
shield. Tombstone to Petrus Denot, Glover c1450 of Bethersden
marble with brass gloves and a C13 monumental tablet. North
transept more restored but has Decorated piscina, hagioscope
and Sheffield Mausoleum to rear has tomb of Edward Gibbon,
d1794, buried by his friend John, Lord Sheffield. Late C15
rood screen with base and canopy restored in C19. Chancel
restored by J Oldrid Scott in 1880 with unaltered organ by

Foster and Andrews of 1881.
Piscina and triple sedilia. Pews and font of c1880.
[BOE Sussex p501.]

------------------------------------

FLETCHING CHURCH STREET
1.
5208
(north side)
The Parish Church of
TQ 4223 41/736 St Andrew and St Mary
II
2.
Chancel, north and south transepts with the Sheffield mausoleum at the north
end of the north transept, nave with aisles, south porch and west tower with
broached shingled spire. Tower Norman, remainder C13, restored, particularly
the chancel, by J Oldrid Scott in 1880.
The Sheffield mausoleum added in the C18. Edmond Gibbon, historian is
buried in this mausoleum. Stone slate roof to the nave.


Listing NGR: TQ4290123473

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |