Description: Church of St Aidan
Date Listed: 15 July 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 303220
OS Grid Reference: NZ3421352860
OS Grid Coordinates: 434213, 552860
Latitude/Longitude: 54.8694, -1.4684
NZ35SW HOUGHTON-LE-SPRING ST. AIDAN'S ROAD (South side)
4/64 New Herrington.
Church of St. Aidan
Parish church, 1885-6 by H. Morton of South Shields. Snecked sandstone with
ashlar dressings; graduated Scottish slate roof.
Nave, north and south aisles, north porch; chancel with north and south porches.
Early English style. North front: chancel porch has semi-circular drip-mould
over large 6-foil window in chamfered stone surround above paired lancets;
aisle a straight-headed door, one lancet and 3 paired lancets; north porch
pointed arch to door has 4 chamfers and drip mould; clerestory. 3 stepped
lancets to each bay under drip string. Cross and vane finials. Interior:
brick with sandstone ashlar dressings: 5-day double-chamfered nave arcades;
chancel has double piscina, chamfered vestry door, mosaic and terrazzo floor.
Marble inlay to font and pulpit. Light shades on nave arcades were for original
electric lighting supplied by the nearby colliery. Source: Sunderland Echo
20th July 1885 p.2.
Listing NGR: NZ3421352860
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.