Description: Church of Holy Cross
Date Listed: 18 August 1947
English Heritage Building ID: 303423
OS Grid Reference: NZ3052067204
OS Grid Coordinates: 430520, 567204
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9985, -1.5244
There is also a scheduled monument, Holy Cross Church and Graveyard, Wallsend, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
WALLSEND VALLEY GARDENS (west end)
NZ 36 NW
18.8.47 Church of Holy Cross
Parish church. C12; C17 porch; restored 1909; roughly coursed and squared sand-
stone rubble; coursed squared sandstone porch. Nave, chancel and south porch.
South doorway of nave has inner arch behind corbelled arch; elliptical-headed
door opening in porch has chamfered surround and impost blocks. Stone benches.
Diagonal west buttresses. Interior: round base at west end of nave formerly
held font. Walls surviving to about a half-metre, except for doorways and
porch. Historical note: roof removed c.1797 by William Clarke of Dockwray
Square, North Shields, who intended to repair the church, but sold his
property in Wallsend without any work being done. Sources: W. Richardson
History of the Parish of Wallsend, 1927, 110-122. M. Hope Dodds History of
Northumberland vol. XIII 1930.
Listing NGR: NZ3052267208
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.