Description: Church of St Paul
Date Listed: 19 May 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 303430
OS Grid Reference: NZ3538072046
OS Grid Coordinates: 435380, 572046
Latitude/Longitude: 55.0417, -1.4479
WHITLEY BAY PARK VIEW (south side)
NZ 37 SE
Church of St. Paul.
Parish church. 1864 by Salvin; paid for by Duke of Northumberland. Snecked
sandstone with ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings; Lakeland slate roof with
flat stone gable copings and stone spire. Aisled nave with north and south
porches; south tower; chancel with north vestry. Early English style. Doors
in second-bay gabled-porches have double-chamfered surrounds. Lancet windows,
some paired or grouped under roundels, those at east end stepped. 3-stage
tower has door recessed under blind trefoil and painted drip mould; clock
and paired shafted belfry openings. Mask corbel table and octagonal spire;
half-octagonal east stair turret. Enclosed passage on north to vestry. Cross
finials. Interior: plaster with ashlar dressings. Double-chamfered arches to
5-bay north and 4-bay south nave arcades with moulded octagonal capitals on
round piers. Similar chancel arch on shafted corbels and tower arches in fifth
bay to nave choir and to south aisle. Roof of alternating tie beams and
corbelled arch-braced collars; stencil decoration to plainer chancel roof.
Octagonal font with dog-tooth ornament. Glass in west window commemorates
son William, dated 1883, of William Bourtland Wilkinson; in north aisle by
Wailes and Strang in first bay, in third by Camm and Co., Smethwick,
Birmingham dated 1901. Historical note: W.B. Wilkinson of Newcastle
patented a successful reinforced concrete in 1854. Sources: J.M. Brown
'W. B. Wilkinson and his place in the history of reinforced concrete'.
Transactions of the Newcomen Society vol. XXXIX, 1966-67. W.F. Cassie
'Early Reinforced Concrete in Newcastle upon Tyne', Structural Engineer,
April 1955, pp 134-7.
Listing NGR: NZ3538072046
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.