Description: Cathedral of St Nicholas
Date Listed: 14 June 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 304830
OS Grid Reference: NZ2498964009
OS Grid Coordinates: 424989, 564009
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9701, -1.6112
NZ 2464 SE, NZ 2564 SW, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE ST NICHOLAS' STREET
NZ 2463 NE, NZ 2563 NW (east side)
20/, 21/, 23/ and 24/490 Cathedral of St.Nicholas
Parish church; cathedral since 1882. Mostly mid C14, incorporating earlier work
in N.W. crossing and north arcade; C15 tower and spire. Many alterations later
include the addition of north and south porches in C19 by J. Green and Dobson.
Sandstone, coursed and squared except for modern ashlar; lead-covered roofs.
West tower with transepts and porches; aisled nave with south chapel; transepts;
aisled chancel with north chapel and south vestry (with Thomlinson Library
St. Nicholas Churchyard,q.v.). Decorated windows in transepts, south aisle
and clerestory, Perpendicular elsewhere; many renewed. Renewed west and late C20
north and south doors in moulded arches, the latter under tall windows, in
gabled porches. 3-stage tower has big polygonal buttresses; 5-light window
above door; small 2-light windows and tall paired 2-light belfry openings in
upper stages; high pierced, battlemented parapet has centre-side pinnacles and
taller corner pinnacles which enclose 4 flying buttresses holding square lantern;
smaller pinnacles and battlemented parapet on this surround slender octagonal spire.
Interior: coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; arch-braced panelled
roofs with heraldic bosses. 4-bay nave and 4-bay chancel arcades have octagonal
columns with plinths but without capitals, the triple-chamfered arches springing
directly from them; high crossing arches in similar style, but chancel arch on
responds with capitals. Tower has arches in similar style with 5 chamfers;
ribbed vault. Head-stopped drip-moulds to arcades; string and drip-moulds to
aisle; plain clerestory. Low blind arcade on south wall interrupted by chapel.
Crypt in north transept has 5-mouchette window and chamfered segmental transverse
ribs. Octagonal stone font with arms of Robert Rhodes, a C15 benefactor, and
high crocketed cover. Pre-reformation brass eagle lectern. South chapel has
medieval roundel of the Virgin and Child in each window; much C19 glass
commemorating local industrialists and Grey of Falloden.
Monuments: 2 medieval grave covers, one with head and feet of body depicted in
'openings ; C14 effigy of knight with shield, lamb at feet; large high-quality
C15 incised brass from the grave of Roger Thornton in All Saints', on south
chancel aisle wall; several C17 memorials including large sculpture of the
Maddison family at prayer; Matthew Ridley, d. 1778, by J. Bacon in classical
style; Admiral Collingwood, d. 1810, by Rossi; Matthew White Ridley of
Blagdon Hall, died 1813, as a Roman by Flaxman; Calverly Bewicke, died 1815,
by Baily; R.H. Williamson died 1835, by Dunbar; alabaster effigy of J.C. Bruce
by George simmonds, dated 1896; effigy of Bishop Wilberforce, 1908, by
F. W. Pomeroy.
Listing NGR: NZ2498964007
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.