Description: Former Department of Agriculture, Now School of Architecture
Date Listed: 30 March 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 304903
OS Grid Reference: NZ2471865101
OS Grid Coordinates: 424718, 565101
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9799, -1.6153
NZ 2465 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE UNIVERSITY QUADRANGLE
14/554 Former Department of
Agriculture, now School
University department. 1913 by W.H. Knowles F.S.A. (panel at right of entrance and
foundation stone). Brown brick with ashlar dressings; roof of plain tiles.
Symmetrical. Tudor style. 2 storeys and attics; 1:3:1 bays, the outer wide bays
under gables. 4 steps up to central open porch with moulded Tudor arch under corbelled
oriel; stone mullioned and transomed windows in irregular-block surrounds; buttressed
end bays have central buttress to corbelled first-floor oriel; 7-light windows in
gable peaks. 3 gabled dormers; roll-moulded continuous parapet. 2 tall stacks with
ashlar plinth and cornice, with 3 chimneys each. Panel in porch: half of cost of
building borne by Clement Stephenson, half by the Ministry of Agriculture.
Listing NGR: NZ2471865101
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.