Description: Park House, North East of Brandling House
Date Listed: 30 March 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 304978
OS Grid Reference: NZ2492771326
OS Grid Coordinates: 424927, 571326
Latitude/Longitude: 55.0358, -1.6115
NZ 27 SW NORTH GOSFORTH B1318 (east side)
4/58 Park House, north east of
Steward's house, now racecourse manager's house. Circa 1760; probably by James
Paine; for Charles Brandling. Coursed squared sandstone with plinth and quoins;
rear extension snecked sandstone; graduated Lakeland slate roof to main part,
Welsh slate roofs to wings and rear extension. 2 storeys, 3 bays and wings of
one storey, 2 bays; open-pedimented centre. Partly-glazed 4-panel door inserted
at left; blocked central door with inserted sash; sash at right and 3 on first
floor, all with voussoirs except for central round-headed window. 3 stone
pigeon ledges in pediment. Similar windows in wings. All windows renewed sashes
with glazing bars. Main roof has 2 ashlar-corniced yellow brick end chimneys
and one at rear. Hipped wing roofs; inserted dormer at right. Interior shows
6-panel doors, some with moulded beading to fielded panels; deep panelled reveal.
to principal ground-floor room which has egg-and-dart moulded window surrounds
and moulded shutters.
Listing NGR: NZ2492771326
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.