Description: Coughton Court
Date Listed: 10 February 1956
English Heritage Building ID: 305306
OS Grid Reference: SP0829960605
OS Grid Coordinates: 408299, 260605
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2436, -1.8799
Explore more of the area around Coughton, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.
1/144 Coughton Court
Country house, Gatehouse late C15, and after 1518; early and late C16; late C17
additions; west front remodelled 1780; additions and remodelling of 1835(VCH).
Limestone ashlar gatehouse. Timber framed with lath and plaster infill; brick;
imitation stone render. Tile and lead roofs; brick stacks, U-plan, formerly
courtyard. 2 and 3 storeys; 13-window range. Entrance (west) front symmetrical.
3 storey central gatehouse range has moulded plinth and double string course.
Square ground floor with corner turrets. C19 Gothic panelled part-glazed
double-leaf doors in 4-centred moulded arch with square head, hood mould and
carved spandrels. Stone mullioned and transomed windows with arched lights
throughout. Upper floors of different coloured stone. 2-storey canted oriel with
flanking lights and glazed octagonal turrets; 2 transoms on first floor, one on
second. Shield of arms on each floor. Turrets continued up another floor'; left
turret unglazed. Remainder 2 storeys only. Single 5-light window with transom
and hood mould. Clasping buttresses with quatrefoil panels projecting above
roof. Crenellated parapets with string course throughout. Remainder of front of '
scored imitation ashlar with stucco hood moulds. Ground floor has leaded 2-light
casements, 3 slightly recessed bays have Gothick sashes and moulded surrounds on
first floor. Projecting end bays with clasping buttresses. First floor: leaded
cross windows. String course above first floor. Attic with quatrefoil panels,
some part glazed. String course and crenellated parapet. Right return side of
thin bricks. Two C17 shaped gables with stone coping. Left gable between 2
external brick stacks; right gable has ball finials. 5-window range, mostly C17
stone cross windows. Narrow gabled wing set back. High single-storey range with
early C20 window, and plaster eaves cove. East front of gatehouse has unglazed
turrets and inscription over entrance. Irregular ranges to courtyard. Timber
framed with brick ground floor. Corresponding small 4-centred door. Irregular
fenestration with moulded stone mullioned windows ground floor, wood mullions
and casements above; some with transoms. 2 storey south range has close studding
with middle rail. Left section breaks forward and has 4 framed gables with
brackets. Entrance in recessed bay below third gable has 4-centred moulded
doorway with square head, hood mould and carved spandrels. Paired 6-panelled
doors with Gothick overlight. Right section has 2 large gables, and another
behind and above in roof, with decorative panel framing. Elaborately carved
scrolled bargeboards with finials and openwork pendants. End wall has gable.
Ground floor has 2 stone cross windows with arched lights. Blocked arches above
and in centre. 2-storey and attic north range. Close studding. 3 large framed
gables and smaller end gable all with casements and brackets. Ground floor has
four 3-light mullioned and transomed windows. First floor projects on plaster
cove. Blank gabled end wall. Left return side: range of c.1690. Scored render
with quoins. 3 projecting bays with hipped roofs. 4-centred doorway. Slightly
projecting first floor. Irregular fenestration with wood mullioned and transomed
windows. Interior: Entrance Hall with plaster fan vault. Late C18 open well
cantilevered staircase with moulded soffit and simple handrail; Gothick
plasterwork cornice. Drawing Room has simple early Cl6 stone fireplace. Windows
with C16,C17 and C19 armorial glass. Gothick plasterwork cornice. 6-panelled
doors. Little Drawing Room has C18 style carved wooden fireplace. Newel
staircase to roof. Tower Room has moulded 4-centred fireplace with carved
spandrels and projecting top. Two 4-centred doorways. North east turret has 2
hiding places. Dining Room and Tribune have fine C16 panelling possibly with
later work, turned balusters, grotesques and medallions with heads. Fine marble
chimneypiece with paired Ionic and Corinthian columns, cartouche and coat of
arms, Saloon, formed 1910, has arcaded panelled screen c.1660 (VCH) to Tribune.
C16 double-flight staircase from Harvington hall with heavy turned balusters and
square newel posts with finials. Study has fine C17 panelling with pilasters.
Ground floor with broad-chamfered ceiling beams. North range has part of a fine
C16 panelled timber cieling with moulded ribs and carved bosses. Dog-leg
staircase with C17 turned balusters. The Throckmortons were Catholics, and were
deeply involved in the Throckmorton plot of 1583. In 1605 the wives of the
Gunpowder Plotters awaited news at Coughton. In 1688 the east wing was destroyed
by a Protestant mob, and was finally cleared away in 1780.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.III, pp.75-78; Buldings of England: Warwickshire,
pp.245-6; Coughton Court; The National Trust 1984).
Listing NGR: SP0831160624
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.