If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Lawrence
Date Listed: 13 October 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 305944
OS Grid Reference: SP2560632523
OS Grid Coordinates: 425606, 232523
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9906, -1.6285
Explore more of the area around Barton-on-the-Heath, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.
BARTON ON THE HEATH
10/9 Church of St. Lawrence
13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish
church of St. Lawrence)
Church. Perhaps Anglo-Danish origins. Early and late C12, and C14 with some C15
alterations. C17 and C19 restorations. Squared coursed limestone with
stone-slate roofs. Chancel, nave with south chapel and west tower. Early C12
chancel, the east wall rebuilt C14 and the south wall rebuilt C17. 2 bays, with
moulded plinth, quoins and coped gable to east with cross at apex and ball
flower ornament immediately beneath. To east a part-restored C14 window of 3
cusped lights with cusped roundel above flanked by mouchettes. Hollow-moulded
surround with ball flower ornament to arch. Hood mould with ball flower ornament
and carved head labels. To south a C19 window of 2 cusped lights with a
quatrefoil. Hood mould. To north a C12 single light, the head decorated with
beast carving and scroll work. Towards west of north wall a C14 cusped light,
now part blocked. Early C12 nave of 2 bays with coped gables, with cross at apex
to east. To south, in angle of nave and south chapel, a C19 lean-to porch.
Within, to west wall of chapel, a blocked window of pointed lights within a
pointed head. To south a C12 doorway of single semi-circular arch. The edge-roll
surround is broken by moulded abaci. Hood mould with plain labels. C19 plank
door. To left of porch a C14 window of 2 ogee-headed cusped lights and
quatrefoil. Chamfered surround and hood mould with labels. Relieving arch.
Towards east a large C15 square-headed window of 3 cusped, ogee-headed, lights
with cusped tracery above. The mullions and surrounds are heavily moulded. Hood
mould with carved beast-head labels. To left a memorial tablet to Walter
Overbury Esq., who died 17-. Elaborately carved base and top. Carved coat of
arms below. South chapel added mid C14, with diagonal buttresses, quoins and
coped gables with crosses at apexes. To south and east a window of 2 ogee-headed
cusped lights with quatrefoil. Hood mould with labels. West tower of 3 stages,
the first 2 are C12, the top stage added C14, with saddle-back roof. Moulded
string courses divide each offset stage. Coped gables with cross to east. To
north a C19 lean-to stone shed. To west of first stage and south of second stage
a small chamfered light. C14 bell-chamber stage has a cusped ogee-headed light
with chamfered surround and stone slate louvres to each face. Interior: C12
window in north wall of chancel has chevron moulded head on wide inner splays.
C19 piscina. Early C12 chancel, probably rebuilt late C12. Semi-circular head of
2 square orders, the inner arch supported on responds with moulded bases, and
scalloped square capitals with nail-head ornament between scallops. East side of
chancel arch has a fragment of a carved pig and scroll ornament, probably
re-used. West side of chancel arch has hood mould with labels. To south of nave
a C14 double-chamfered arch with polygonal moulded capitals. Hood moulds with
labels. To immediate left of C12 doorway a C15 stoup. C15 window in north wall
has moulded piscina with hood mould and labels. Windows have moulded
rere-arches. Remains of a moulded string course to west wall. Also to west wall
of nave, above a C12 semi-circular arched doorway, an early C12 semi-circular
arched light with wide inner splays. Chancel has C19 arch-braced collar-truss
roof. Nave has C19 scissor-braced roof. C15 octagonal carved font. In 2 windows
to north wall of chancel C14 fragments of stained glass, probably re-used from
east window including a representation of the grid iron of St. Lawrence. In
chancel floor a brass to Edmund Bury who died 1558, and whose widow placed the
monument in 1608. Effigy of a man in Elizabethan costume, and an inscription.
Slab memorial to Thomas 0nesbury, knight, who died in 1739. Carved coat of arms
and a crest 2 further C17 memorial slabs. To south wall a memorial to Anthony
Weoly, who died in 1643, and his daughter who died in 1653. Richly carved marble
surrounds with broken pediment. C18 tablet in west wall, and C19 tablet in north
wall. In north wall of nave a tablet to William Sands Esq., who died in 1802.
Surmounted by an obelisk.
(V,C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp.15-17; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
Listing NGR: SP2560632523
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.