Description: Church of St John the Baptist
Date Listed: 13 October 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 305959
OS Grid Reference: SP2916836585
OS Grid Coordinates: 429168, 236585
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0269, -1.5763
CHERINGTON CHURCH LANE
SP2936 (East side)
8/24 Church of St. John the Baptist
13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish
church of St. John the
Church. C13, with C14, C15 and C18 alterations and additions. Restored C16 or
C17, late C19 and early C20. Coursed limestone rubble with quoins and ashlar
parapet to nave. Asbestos-tile roof to chancel. Chancel, nave with north aisle
and west tower. Late C13, or rebuilt late C13 chancel of 2 bays with crude
plinth to south, and coped gable to east. Late C13 window to east of 3 lancets,
with a re-used early C13 carved head at the apex of the window. Hood mould with
C13 carved head labels. To south a restored many-moulded priest's doorway with
hood mould and carved head labels. C19 plank door. To left and right a restored
square-headed window each of 2 lights. Hood mould and carved foliage labels. To
north a large single trefoiled light, the external masonary restored C16 or C17.
To right an early C20 stone lean-to organ recess with single trefoiled light.
Early C13 nave with late C13 north aisle. 3 bays, with some quoins and C18
moulded eaves cornice and coped parapet with obelisk pinnacles. Coped gable to
east. To south a C14 gabled porch with rough plinth and, to east, a simple
square-headed chamfered light. Chamfered doorway. Sundial scratched just below
to west. C13 south doorway with part-restored edge-roll moulding forming a
semi-circular head. Reset stone to east has scratched 'mass dial'. To left of
porch a C13 window of 3 stepped lancets with chamfered surround and plain hood
mould. To right of porch a large window of c.1500. Four ogee-headed cusped
lights with mouchette tracery and hollow-chamfered mullions within a
hollow-chamfered, square-headed surround with hood mould and labels. This window
breaks into the C15 clerestory. To left, centre-left and centre-right a C15
square-headed window of cusped lights. To right, above window of c.1500, a
shortened and raised square-headed window, probably altered late C19, with 2
cusped lights. To east of north aisle a late C13 restored window of 3 stepped
lancets with hood mould. To left, centre-left and centre-right of north wall a
2-light window of Y-tracery, perhaps of C18 date, that to centre-right in place
of blocked north doorway. To right, and to west, a C13 single chamfered lancet.
West tower of 2 stages, the first of C13, with chamfered plinth and C15 diagonal
offset buttresses. C15 moulded string course marks beginnning of C15 second
stage, with further string course below bell-chamber windows. C15 moulded eaves
cornice with worn gargoyles, below a C18 restored embattled parapet with
obelisk finials. C17 west doorway with chamfered square head and plank door.
Plain rectangular light above. Rising from first stage to bell-chamber are 4
loops. To south of first stage a further rectangular light. Bell-chamber
openings each of 2 ogee-headed lights with quatrefoil. Hood mould and carved
head labels. Interior: east window of chancel has original C13 splays and
rere-arch. To south a C13 cusped and chamfered piscina. Early C16 chancel arch
of 2 chamfered orders. C13 window in south wall of nave has chamfered rere-arch.
To west a C13 doorway. Late C13 two-bay north aisle arcade. Single octagonal
pier with corresponding responds supporting double-chamfered arches. Chancel
roof restored early C20, re-using some chamfered and cambered tie beams, and
supported on original moulded stone corbels, Restored C15 nave roof with moulded
tie beam, braces and posts. Roof is supported on C15 corbels of carved beast and
human heads, Restored C15 north aisle roof with moulded tie beams. C16 and C17
stained glass in north chancel windows. C14 representation of St. John the
Evangelist in east window of north aisle, with further C15 and later pieces.
Further later glass in north windows. C16 fragments in south window of c.1500.
Between north arcade, east respond and east nave wall an early C14 tomb. To
either side an arcade of ogee-headed cusped niches with crocketed finials and
poppy heads, with piscina inserted on north face. Tomb supports an effigy of a
man in secular clothing, hooded, but showing the man's curled hair. His head is
supported by decapitated angels and he rests his feet on a recumbent dog. Above
a depressed ogee-arch, cusped and richly carved to south with foliage and
flanked to left by a crocketed pinnacle supported by a female crowned head. Arch
is plain to north. In south chancel wall a C17 wall tablet, the inscription
worn, with deeply carved surround. 3 further wall tablets of C19 and C20 date.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp.39-41; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
Listing NGR: SP2916636584
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.