British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Leamington Hastings

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 6 October 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 308740

OS Grid Reference: SP4444267594
OS Grid Coordinates: 444442, 267594
Latitude/Longitude: 52.3047, -1.3496

Location: Leamington Hastings, Warwickshire CV23 8EB

Locality: Leamington Hastings
Local Authority: Rugby Borough Council
County: Warwickshire
Country: England
Postcode: CV23 8EB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Leamington Hastings, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SP46NW (West side)
5/96 Church of All Saints
Church. Mid C13; mid/late C13 north chapel, now part of aisle. Nave and south
aisle extended and south porch added early C14. Late C14 north aisle, porch and
tower. Chancel rebuilt, clerestory added, south aisle windows altered and aisle
re-roofed 1677. South side rebuilt and porch extended 1703. Restored and altered
1875; further restoration 1887. Sandstone ashlar; north aisle has west end of
squared coursed limestone and lias rubble with sandstone dressings. Chancel of
squared coursed limestone. Moulded cornices. Chancel has tile roof with moulded
coped gable parapets; nave and aisles have moulded parapets. Aisled nave,
chancel, west tower, north and south porches. Early English, Decorated and
Perpendicular styles, 3-bay chancel, 5-bay nave. Chancel has diagonal buttresses
of 3 offsets with panelled pinnacles. Gothic Survival 3-light east and two
2-light south and narrower north windows have straight heads and cinqfoiled ogee
lights, hood moulds and head stops. East window has datestone. Gable has C19
cross. Small north porch has studded door in simple moulded arch. North aisle
has double splayed and moulded plinth. Diagonal and 3 north buttresses have
crocketed gablets. Corbel table of carved heads. Shallow north-west porch has
fine but eroded Decorated ogee doorway of 2 orders with shafts. Outer order has
a vine trail between head stops, with head at apex. Hood mould with finial. Old
studded plank double-leaf doors. 3-light east and north windows have C19
curvilinear tracery. Small trefoiled ogee north-east lancet. 3-light west window
has renewed reticulated tracery. Clerestory of paired straight-headed lights.
South aisle has moulded splay plinth. Shaped south and east diagonal buttresses
have gablets; simple south-west buttress. Porch dated 1703 has moulded plinth
and decorated gable. Arch of 2 chamfered orders. Recessed studded double-leaf
doors in chamfered plaster arch. Windows, similar to chancel. 4-bay clerestory
has paired chamfered round-arched lights. Aisle and clerestory have hood mould
continued as cornice. Perpendicular tower of 3 stages has double splay plinth
and string courses. Full-height diagonal buttresses of 5 offsets. West doorway
of 3 moulded orders with thin shafts, crocketed ogee gable and pinnacles has
double-leaf doors. 3-light window above has renewed uncusped tracery. Sill
course. Hood mould and stops continued as string course. Second stage has simple
ogee niche with shallow canopy. Third stage has twin 2-light bell openings with
blind traceried panels below. Moulded cornice with masks and gargoyle. Moulded
embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Interior: chancel is plastered. King
post roof of 1875, with some C17 timbers: formerly ceiled. C19 segmental pointed
chancel arch, largely hidden by C19 Perpendicular traceried, panelled and coved
screen to upper part. Nave has C19 panelled boarded ceiling with moulded ribs.
Late C14 three-bay north arcade, with differing late C13 east bays of 2
chamfered orders with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and bases, and square
plinths with chamfered corners. South arcade has 3 Early English eastern bays,
and 2 early C14 bays. Moulded arches and octagonal piers. East bay has nailhead
enrichment. Tower arch of 2 moulded orders, the outer continuous. Aisles have
low pitched roofs on carved brackets with stone corbels. North aisle has small
4-centred doorway to blocked rood loft stair. South aisle has east organ
chamber. Fittings: C19 altar rails. Hexagonal pulpit and reading desk have C16
Perpendicular panels in later framing. C19 stalls and pews. North aisle has C19
altar table. Perpendicular hexagonal stone font has angels holding shields and
stem with blind trefoiled lancets. Aisles have C17 carved screens to west bays.
Stained glass: west window has arms of the Trevor and Wheler families. East
window of 1874. Monuments: chancel has a number of C17 and C18 slabs and wall
monuments. North side: Sir Thomas Trevor 1654. South side, Sir Thomas 1676 and
Lady Trevor 1695. Both are attributed to Bushnell. Both of black and white
marble, with busts. Sir Thomas's monument has bust against moulded oval niche,
and cartouche with heraldic device, drapery and balloon finials above. Gadrooned
frieze and cartouche with mask below shelf. Sir Thomas and Lady Trevor turn
towards each other; shelf with skulls. Urn finial and gadrooned frieze with
cartouche, and volutes. Large oval inscription cartouche below shelf. John
Allington, Vicar, 1682, in arched south recess. Large marble pedestal with
curved top and moulded plinth and cornice. Small cartouche and open book.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.152-154; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,

Listing NGR: SP4444267594

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.