Description: Church of St Margaret
Date Listed: 6 October 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 308857
OS Grid Reference: SP4095875755
OS Grid Coordinates: 440958, 275755
Latitude/Longitude: 52.3783, -1.3997
Explore more of the area around Wolston, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.
WOLSTON MAIN STREET
SP47NW (West side)
2/68 Church of St. Margaret
Church. C12 origins. Chancel c.1300. Remainder rebuilt C14; clerestory added
C15. Tower rebuilt 1760 by Job Collins. C18 vestry. Restored 1860. Chancel,
aisles, transepts and nave of coursed limestone rubble with red sandstone
dressings. Transepts partly rebuilt in coursed squared limestone with bands of
red sandstone ashlar. Clerestory and vestry of regular coursed sandstone, Tower
of sandstone ashlar. Chancel, nave and aisles have lead roofs. Transepts, vestry
and tower have old plain-tile roofs. Coped gable parapets; chancel, nave and
aisles have gablet kneelers; transepts have moulded kneelers. Aisled cruciform
plan with crossing tower and north vestry. 3-bay chancel, 4-bay nave. Chancel
has sandstone splayed plinth. Diagonal buttresses of one offset. Moulded sill
course. Moulded 5-light east window has C19 curvilinear tracery and hood mould
with return stops. Upper part of wall rebuilt. C19 cross finial. Massive south
buttress of 2 offsets. Doorway of 2 moulded orders with hood mould. 2 windows
have renewed Y-tracery. Low-side recessed chamfered mullioned window of 2
round-arched lights. North side has window with Y-tracery. Large C17
segmental-pointed 3-light mullioned window has pointed outer lights. 2-bay
vestry has lean-to roof. Recessed chamfered mullioned windows of 2 basket-arched
lights. South transept has C19 twin south gables. Diagonal buttresses of 2
offsets. 3-light east window has C19 geometrical tracery. 3-light south window
has intersecting tracery and sill course. Aisle has diagonal and 2 south
buttresses of 2 offsets. Romanesque doorway of 2 orders, the outer with shafts
and scalloped capitals, zigzag and hood mould with pellet ornament, C19 ribbed
double-leaf doors. South-east and south-west windows have cusped Y-tracery.
Large C19 trefoiled lancet. 3-bay clerestory has straight-headed traceried
2-light windows to north and south. North transept has diagonal buttresses of
one offset. 3-light east window has restored curvilinear tracery. North window
has 3-light mullioned window and label dated 1624 with initials RW, and above it
a small 2-light mullioned window dated 1577, inserted into original arch.
Inscription at foot: "Restored AD 1866". Aisle has diagonal and 2 north
buttresses. North doorway of chamfered inner and moulded outer orders with hood
mould. Eariy/mid C19 double-leaf doors panelled with applied mouldings.
Traceried straight-headed 2-light and western one-light windows. West front has
large nave buttresses of 3 offsets. Altered segmental-pointed mullioned window
of 5 cusped lights. Aisles have windows similar to clerestory. Tower of 2 stages
with string course. Bell openings have Y-tracery. Shallow pyramidal roof behind
parapet. Interior is plastered. Chancel has 3 sedilia and separate piscina of
c.1300 with shafts and cusped arches. Shallow-pitched roof, extensively repaired
1680, has moulded tie beams, curved braces and wallposts, and painted decoration
of 1760 with later restoration. C12 crossing has large east and west
single-stepped arches with roll mouldings to west, and nook-shafts. Capitals
carved with small figures, and one with interlace. Small, low, north and south
arches have former windows above, possibly renewed 1760, and scalloped capitals;
pointed north arch of 2 orders. Nave has C15 roof with moulded purlins, ridge
and tie beams, and 3 carved bosses. Early C14 south and later C14 north arcades
have octagonal piers and moulded capitals and bases, Aisles have lean-to roofs.
North transept arch of chamfered and moulded orders. Transept has panelled
ceiling with wood ribs. Segmental-pointed south transept arch of 2 chamfered
orders Piscina, sedile and 2 tomb recesses have shafts and cinqfoiled arches
and hood moulds with head stops. Fittings: altar rail of 1683, from Rowington,
of large turned balusters. Octagonal font, possibly C17, has mouldings and
primitive crocketed ogee gables. C19 Romanesque style pulpit. C19 pews. Stained
glass: east window 1859. Monuments: 2 effigies, one much defaced, of c.1300 in
tomb recesses. Early C16 Purbeck marble monument has recess, originally for
brasses, with panelled sides and coving, cresting and quatrefoil frieze below.
Chancel south: Johannes Mitchener 1760. Wall monument with open pediment.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.277-278; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
pp.476-478; Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1894, p.250).
Listing NGR: SP4095475757
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.