British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Peter and St Paul, Coleshill

Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Grade: I
Date Listed: 8 September 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 309324

OS Grid Reference: SP2012089059
OS Grid Coordinates: 420120, 289059
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4991, -1.7050

Location: Church Hill, Coleshill, Warwickshire B46 3AD

Locality: Coleshill
Local Authority: North Warwickshire Borough Council
County: Warwickshire
Country: England
Postcode: B46 3AD

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Coleshill, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(South side)
Church of St. Peter and St.

Church. C14 and C15 but drastically restored in 1868-9 by W. Slater. Ashlar,
much renewed in the C19; plain tile roofs. West tower, 6-bay nave with side
aisles, 3-bay chancel and north-east vestry. West tower: probably mid to late
C15. 3 stages with 5 stage diagonal buttresses capped by crocketed pinnacles at
parapet level. Plinth with moulded coping and a crenellated parapet with
continuous coping to merlons and embrasures, and trefoil-headed panelling. The
recessed stone spire was rebuilt in 1888: it is crocketed up the edges and has 3
tiers of lucarnes with crocketed hood moulds. West doorway with roll and
hollow-moulded surround, 4-centred arch and crocketed hood mould with carved
angel stops. Large window above of 5 cinquefoil-headed lights with panel tracery
beneath a 4-centred arch with crocketed hood mould terminating in winged
monsters. The second stage has windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights with
battlemented transoms, beneath elongated triangular arches with hood moulds
terminating in winged monsters. Above the north, south and west windows is a
canopied niche with crocketed hood mould in each case partially concealed by a
clock. Each face of the belfry stage has a pair of transomed 2-light windows
flanked by similar blind windows beneath a continuous crocketed hood mould with
monster stops. Nave and aisles: C19 pointed 2-light side windows with
Geometrical tracery, hollow segment-moulded surrounds and hood moulds with stops
carved as heads. The east and west windows of both aisles each have 3 lights.
Buttresses are placed diagonally at the angles, and at the bay divisions of the
north and south sides. Coved eaves with carved fleurons. C19 north and south
porches: gabled, with pointed entrance arches springing from cylindrical shafts
with moulded capitals; scroll-moulded dripstones. Chancel: late C15. Plinth with
moulded coping. Buttresses set diagonally at the eastern angles and at the bay
divisions to the north and south: each has a gargoyle and crocketed pinnacle
above, the latter have panelled sides. Parapet string and crenellated parapet
with continuous coping to merlons and embrasures. Side windows of 5
trefoil-headed lights with panel tracery, beneath a 4-centred arch and returned
hood mould. Similar 7-light east window, probably C19. Priest's doorway of 2
roll-moulded orders with a 4-centred arch and a heavily crocketed hood mould
terminating in carved harts. C19 vestry with windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights
surmounted by quatrefoils. Western doorway of 2 roll-moulded orders with a
4-centred arch. Crenellated parapet, the parapet string serving as a hood mould
to the windows. Interior: 7-bay nave arcades consisting of pointed arches of 2
chamfered orders springing from octagonal columns with moulded capitals. Mainly
C14 but the 3 western bays are C15 and probably contemporary with the west
tower. Tall pointed tower arch with wide ogee moulding springing from
semi-octagonal half columns with moulded capitals. There is an outer wide sunk
chamfered order. Pointed chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders springing from
moulded imposts on octagonal half columns. C14/C15 wagon roofs over nave and
aisles, the former is of rounded section and the latter segmental pointed. The
members of the nave roof are painted with trailing foliage, fleur-de-lys and
other fleurons. In the chancel are the remains of a piscina and vaulted sedilia.
In the north wall is a doorway to the vestry which matches the external doorway
in the south wall in that it has a four-centred head and a heavily crocketed
hood mould terminating in carved deer and surmounted by a fleur-de-lys. C15 low
pitch roof carried on camvbered tie beams panelled with trefoil-headed arcading.
The tie beams are supported on brackets which spring from stone corbels carved
as angels. Moulded ridge piece and purlins with carved floral bosses. Fittings:
outstanding C12 font. Squat base and circular basin carved with round-headed
arcading springing from cylindrical columns with cushion capitals, which form 11
compartments altogether. The arcading is interrupted to the east by a crucifix
with the Virgin and St. John to either side. The scene is surrounded by a
circular band which cuts across the 2 supporting figures. The other 9
compartments contain alternately interlaced or vertical foliage scrolls, and
single figures (four in all). C19 octagonal pulpit in a quite elaborate Gothic
style with Geometrical tracery to the panelled sides, and a leaf encrusted
cornice. In the north aisle are 2 carved stone heads brought from a site in the
High Street, probably C12. Early C17 chest with elaborately curved sides. A
bookrest said to be of 1603. C18 iron chest or strongbox. Oak parish chest bound
with iron straps, possibly C14. Monuments: 2 early C14 cross-legged knights each
with a surcoat and mail hood. The one in the south aisle has been identified
with John I de Clinton, died circa 1300. He bears a shield emblazoned with the
Clinton arms of (argent) a chief (azure) with 2 fleur-de-lys (or) therein. The
knight in the north aisle is said to represent John II de Clinton, died circa
1320. Several monuments in the chancel. 3 brasses: William Abnell, vicar,
d.1500; Alice Clifton, d.1506; and Sir John Fenton, d.1586. The other monuments
are all Digbys: Simon, d.1519 and his wife Alice: alabaster; 2 recumbant
effigies on a chest tomb with twisted columns at the corners, and panelled and
traceried sides bearing heraldic shields; Simon Digby wears plate armour, his
head rests on a helmet and his feet on a lion. Reginald; d.1519, and his wife
Anne: incised alabaster slab on a chest tomb; 2 effigies with a row of children
at their feet. John, d.1558 and his wife Anne: alabaster; 2 recumbant effigies
on a chest tomb with their hands raised in prayer; he is in armour with his head
on a helmet and feet on a lion. On the east face of the chest are a son in
armour, and 2 sons in laymens dress, and a child in swathing bands. Sir George,
d.1586 and wife: 2 recumbant effigies on a chest tomb with their hands raised in
prayer. Sir George is in plate armour, the heads of both figures rest on
cushions; around the sides are figures of kneeling children. Sir Robert Digby,
d.1618; tall narrow tablet, scrolled to the sides with convex inscription panel
capped by an Ionic capital; the whole is surmounted by an heraldic shield with
garlands of fruit to each side. First Lord Digby, d.1661: pedestal tomb with
giant urn on top. Stained glass: good late C19 windows in the chancel and in the
west walls of the tower and aisles.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp235-6; VCH: Warwickshire, pp54-6)

Listing NGR: SP2011889058

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.